Saturday, October 21, 2006

On Another Note Entirely

Ah, music!! Glorious music!! From a very early age I've loved it; loved the way in which it can transport me. An ongoing frustration in life is that I've never been able to cotton on to playing an instrument. I relate it to people having a facility for learning languages other than their native tongue - I just don't get it and will remain unilingual. (heaving sigh) That certainly doesn't stop me from appreciating it though. When I hear what I conceive to be greatness I have a physiological reaction to it - all the hair on my forearms stands up. Whether it's pumping out of my Bose surround system at home or in a live concert setting, it's the same.

Lynda and I try to get to at least 1 major concert a year - 3 years ago it was Jeff Beck at Massey Hall; 2 years ago Alison Krauss & Union Station at Convocation Hall at the U of T; and earlier this year April 9 at Massey Hall, David Gilmour's show in support of his 'On An Island' release.

When 'OAI' was released I liked it but it didn't bowl me over; I'd waited so long for it. It wasn't until we saw & heard it performed that I came to love it and really 'get' it. A half dozen times thru the show I nudged Lynda and held up my arm to show her; she beamed me her loveliest of smiles, laughed her musical laugh and nodded like a champ. It's an incredibly finely crafted piece of work - well written by David and his wife Polly Samson, ably produced by David and Phil Manzanera(sp?) of Roxy Music fame, and the musicianship is outstanding. Journeymen at their finest. David is exceptional on lead guitar, lap steel, hawaiian and incredibly making his debut on sax. I hope there are plans in the works for a DVD. For a sample there are a number of studio performances at aolmusic.sessions archives that were done in New York on April 7. Brilliant!!

Periodically I go on binges for a particular artist - lately it's been Jeff Beck. I've loved his playing since he released 'Truth' back in about '68 and have followed his career thru the years. He played a stellar show here in 2002 and I was hugely disappointed that he has no Canadian dates on his current tour. The good news is that he is working on a new release as he tours. I managed to track down his latest release - an 'official' bootleg (oxymoron) - at sonymusic.com. It's available by web order only, was recorded at B. B. King's Blues club and has 18 tracks. When I saw him he had Jennifer Batten playing 2nd guitar and they put on a great show. I've spent way too much time on YouTube watching videos of him. Highly recommended - 'Declan' and 'Cuz We've Ended as Lovers'.

Alison Krauss & Union Station - probably the finest bluegrass band around. Alison's lead vocals and virtuoso fiddle playing knock me out. Jerry Douglas on guitar/dobro - outstanding. Way too many fine songs to name but 'I'm the Lucky One' comes immediately to mind. There's a DVD of one of those tour dates, from the Ryman Auditorium I think - I must pick it up.

The latest CDs that I have are Bob Dylan's 'Modern Times' and Tom Petty's 'Highway Companion'. For a great review of Modern Times see Glen's post - I know he'll be impressed when I say 'I concur'. lol. I need a few more listens to Highway Companion but the lead off track is great - 'Saving Grace'.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home