Monday, November 13, 2006

On 'Change'

King Whitney Jr. - "Change has a considerable psychological impact on the human mind. To the fearful it is threatening because it means things may get worse. To the hopeful it is encouraging because things may get better. To the confident it is inspiring because the challenge exists to make things better."

Over the course of the last few years I've tried to recall what I was like at various ages - 10, 20, 30, 40. By that I mean my make up; attitudes and perceptions of life, attributes and liabilities, characterisics and traits. What an eye-opener this trip has been; exploring the timeline. While, in retrospect, there were a lot of negatives to be found - insecurity, lack of direction and initiative - on balance there have always been a lot of positives too - caring, hard working, creative. Now at age 52 (god that sounds old) I can see the evolution of personality, feel that I'm alright but remain open to still more change.

Fearful? No! Hopeful? Yes! Confident? Oh yeah!!

In reflecting on my past the thing that dismays me most is that, although I'm generally a pretty conventional, responsible type, there have been periods where I've put myself in some pretty incredible physical danger as well as dwelling in some ugly head spaces. I don't live in the past though I believe very strongly that we are products of our experience.

What I'm grateful for is a pivotal moment of clarity where I knew change was a neccessity. Opportunity grew out of hardship - a job loss leading to longterm unemployment neccessitated re-education, which lead to re-entering the work force in a new field. Attitude has proven to be key - openness to change, optimism, enthusiasm, commitment.

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus - "The universe is change; our life is what our thoughts make it"

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home