Sunday, October 22, 2006

Here's a poser

I read an article a few months ago about the project dedicated to mapping the human genome. If I remember correctly all of humankind - 10 billion of us, give or take a few - are 99% alike. That essential 1% accounts for all the apparent differences in people; gender, height, body type, hair, complexion, colouring, race characteristics and so on............

Take a moment, think of the variety of people you've seen in your life and marvel at that. 1%!

My initial reaction was that of comfort and kinship, that we're all 99% alike at the molecular level. What a marvellous concept. As I think back on it, it saddens me that there is such disparity and division in this world of ours. How much of that is dependent on the 1% I don't know.

Does character come into the equation? Character that hates, commits crime, wages war, rapes, steals and murders. Of course there's the other side of the coin that doesn't garner headlines - those who provide comfort, heal, wage war on crime, dispense justice, create art and music.

Providing my recollection is correct - how do you fell?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Norm said...

Thanks John - I don't know if the traits of character that we got into have anything to do with the genome, but well said.

8:12 AM, October 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home