Monday, November 13, 2006

Seasonal change

Snapshot: I live in a subdivision about 1 km north of the lake. Our lot backs on a greenbelt, then there's a creek, a railroad track and beyond it a golf course. What this affords us is a terrific view, from our side patio and back yard, of a wide variety of birds, beasts and flora through the course of the seasons.

My drive to work is a little over 20 km, the first 5 of which are through town and then it's prime farm land and woodlots until I get to the small town where I'm employed. This residence is an old country mansion on nice grounds which back on a 50 foot deep wooded ravine with a creek. The trip here is a gradual climb except when I hit the leading face of the moraine (a leftover of the last glacial age) which parallels the lakeshore. One of the pleasures that I have on a daily basis is passing Canada's premier stable - Windfield Farms - and having the opportunity to see the many thoroughbreds roaming acre after acre of fenced pasture.

I was a little disappointed with the autumnal colour change this year; the colours just didn't seem to be as vivid. I think it was because we had a number of slight frosts as opposed to a couple of sharp, killing ones. Still the change from the many shades of green to yellow, orange and red delighted the eye. The season is over, the trees bare now except for a few stubborn, straggling leaves.

And with that the birds have mostly flown off to warmer climes. Gone are the robins, orioles and flickers. So too the swallows, killdeer and meadowlark. Lynda and I have lucked out this year and seen huge flights of hawks, geese, ducks and finches headed south. Back in September we saw the Monarch butterfly migration for the first time in our lives. Hundreds of thousands of them parading past the end of our street on their way to Mexico.

It turns out that the owl who has taken up residence in the neighbourhood is of the 'Great Horned' variety. (thanks John, thanks Trish for passing that on) I'd love to lay eyes on him. The coyote pack that I'd hoped was just passing through is still in the area; one of our guests heard them again last night. Quite often at night here I see raccoons and skunks out on the lawn searching for grubs and worms. In the fall and winter, deer are a frequent sight at dawn or dusk along the tree and fence lines of the farm fields between here and home.

There are many places on this earth I'd like to see but there aren't many where I'd prefer to live.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

That great horned owl may surprise you one day. We have one here in the woods at the back of our property. I think we heard him/her out there for about a year before we were out there one day and this large creature came swooping down. Scared the daylights out of my husband and I until we realized what it was. Beautiful! I was surprised at the size.

I enjoyed your description of the seasonal change. It really captured the bittersweetness of this time of year.

10:03 PM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger Norm said...

I'm looking forward to seeing him up close - sometime soon I hope. There's nothing like a dose of the natural world to refresh the spirit.
Thanks for your feedback and kind comments. I'm new at this and still fumbling my way about.

12:37 AM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger Kel said...

nice descriptive post Norm
when do we get to see some pics?

isn't it nice to find a place to call home

5:00 AM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger Norm said...

Thanks, Kel. I'd love to include some pics - been having some problems with the digital camera tho. One more little thing to sort out.

2:48 PM, November 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home