Thursday, April 09, 2009

Rust Never Sleeps

(With a nod to Neil Young)

Rich in colour, n'est pas?
We've had a cast iron chiminea for several years and while working around the yard today I was taken with the colour and texture of it. Mostly it sits unused because the neighbours tend to complain when we fire it up. Originally it had a mottled blue-green patina that had been applied somehow but with heat and weather it has gradually faded and flaked away. I prefer the rust.
Once I got up and moving today, after having slept in, it has been a busy one. All the wood cutting for the flooring was done in the garage so I spent an hour trying as best I could to get that cleaned up. The weather has cleared and warmed slightly so I was able to spend some time out back having another go at more leaves - both the ones that Milo had re-spread around and those that have since blown in from neighbouring yards. Then it was time for what we affectionately call around here 'Shit Patrol'..... yeah, cleaning up after the two dogs. They followed me around for a bit, no doubt thinking, 'Wow! We've got him really well trained!'
I would have thought that all the bending, stretching, raking and such would feel good and 'healthful'.... but my back is disagreeing. Nothing that a couple of ibuprofen won't cure. It really was nice to spend some time in the fresh air without being all bundled up though.
My daughter emailed to say she had posted a 5 minute video on Facebook of her son in the kids area of their Science Centre. Little 'Z' was buzzing around the place like a pinball and having a blast. Too cute! I don't use my account there very much because FB was having some problems for awhile but now that seems to have settled so maybe I'll get back into it more again.
Break time is over; time to feed the dogs and then clean the car. Fill the daylight hours in a useful way.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

rust never sleeps
it just eats and eats
yeah!

what a shame
to have a chiminea and not be able to use it!

3:17 AM, April 10, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Yeah, damn.... must try to all get along. Maybe we'll have to invite them over for a fire. (?)

10:30 AM, April 10, 2009  
Blogger Kel said...

that could work
invite them over to enjoy it with you
then they might be more agreeable when you use it other times

6:17 AM, April 12, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Could be - we shall see one day.

1:41 AM, April 13, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home