Thursday, November 16, 2006

Memory cues

I didn't post last night as I'm preparing for an interview: reviewing some practical materials and trying to anticipate the likely questions. As it's pretty dry stuff I was taking frequent breaks to check out my fave blogs and following links on their sites. (Hi Michelle, Kel, Robin, Glen) hee, hee...

Anyway, beside the obviously enjoyable part of that, I found it funny that some of the posts reminded me of things I hadn't thought about in years. And that there is some incredible writing talent out there.

Robin's posts about their visit to Yosemite and her inclusion of some of John Muir's writing reminded me of 'my discovery' back in the '70's of Ansel Adam's work in the region. I had a home darkroom back in those days and got right into Adams work, reading everything I could find about him and his exposure and printing techniques. Then out of nowhere I recalled an incident where I came this close to stealing a book of his from a library. It was a limited edition with all the portfolio sheets slipsheeted with onion paper - a thing of rare beauty. In a moment of sanity I decided to walk away without it but I can recall that for weeks I beat myself up for not taking it. Covetousness in the nth degree. But in the end I couldn't deprive the other people who might chance upon it the pleasure of seeing it.

Glen just reviewed a book written by a head-hunter exec about self presentation and how to ace an interview. Apparently it gives the whys and wherefores behind the arcane questions asked in the interview process these days (most of which make me want to roll my eyes and bark like a mad dog). Maybe I should get out my credit card and get on Amazon for express delivery so that won't happen.

'Patchouli Ponderings' post about the dreaded 'middle-of-the-night' phone call caused me to catch my breath, made my throat ache. They talk about a picture being worth a thousand words.....she captured the emotion of the moment and painted with words.I was made to feel like a bumbling interloper walking into the most intimate of moments; being privy to something I had no business knowing. Beautifully written.

Yes, photography! If I'm able to sort out my digital camera I'll rephotograph one of my old prints and submit it for Kel's 'Art Attack' at xfacta. I used to work in prepress in the print trade and was able to take my favourite shots to work and blow them up on a big process flatbed camera. At one point my whole place was hung with my own work. The one I have in mind is the interior of a barn that a friend used to own. The light filters in from many directions through the gaps in the barnboard, the rough hewn beams define the space and the textures of the wood and straw draw the eye. A big airy, churchy place. Michelle mentioned passion in her most recent post. I wonder what happened to mine for photography??? (same as my passion for print - when it went digital there was no craft left to it; and what's a tradesman without craft?)

More later, perhaps --work now.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

Very interesting post, as usual. :) And thanks for the mention. I'm glad you didn't take the book. It might have been a lot to live with, in the long run. I know that feeling, though, of coveting something to the degree that you're this close to walking off with it.

I'm going to try to track down the other posts you mention as they sound interesting. I'm going to need a book about interviewing now that I'm voluntarily (and happily, for the moment) jobless.

3:40 PM, November 16, 2006  
Blogger Norm said...

I mispelled one site's name on the original post - it's Patchouli Ponderings. I'll re-edit.

Pays to double check before hitting the publish button.

1:29 AM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger Kel said...

G'day to you too Norm!
I can't wait to see that photo - and and any others you care to share.

I read a post this week about an interviewer who made the six applicants play cranium. From his observation during the game, he hired four of the six. That sounds a whole lot more creative and interesting than most job interviews I've ever been in.

3:44 AM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger Norm said...

Kel - I'd prefer cranium even tho I've never played it. This is going to be a 3 on 1; our CEO, one of our house managers, the new dept head and me. Yikes! Cross your fingers for me.

Robin - I forgot to say; enjoy your break from work. And I hope your pain issue resolves to the point you can seek and enjoy employment again. Please don't take offence to my 'political' post.

4:35 AM, November 17, 2006  
Blogger Kel said...

so, [she says after waiting one month] when do we get to see some of your photos?

5:22 AM, December 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home