Saturday, June 30, 2007

Eventful Day, Productive Night

Today actually got off to a quiet start. I managed to sleep in and then took my time getting myself together; goofing off, playing with the pets and wandering the yard checking out the gardens, drinking coffee and smoking. There were a couple of things to accomplish; I got the truck rental arranged for the move and the call put out to start the hydro account. Then it just a matter of getting cleaned up in time to meet JPW for dinner. I was about to dash off to a local mall but decided to first give him a call using our landline phone and his line was busy. Then my cell rang in my pocket and lo and behold it was him - freaky timing.

He beat me to the restaurant by a minute or two but we greeted each other with big hugs in the foyer. The last chance we'd had to talk at length was before Christmas although we've attended a couple of the same functions since then. He checks in here regularily so we talked about that a bit and I expanded on a couple of things regarding the homefront. I got to catch up on all the goings-on in his life and work. JPW is waiting on word at his work that may have a direct trickle down effect for me. We shall see. Our visit was all too brief but gawd it was good to see him again - the man makes me laugh.

From there I made quick detour back home to let Freedom out for a few minutes before coming to work but it turned out I didn't need to - Lynda had returned home from her dinner out with her workmates. We enjoyed a quicky visit while touring the yard. I tried convincing her that she should come meet me at work after I send the guys off to their beds but she wasn't into spending the night under the same roof as 30 male alkies and addicts. Geez, can't figure that one.

Funny - about a month ago I'd borrowed a copy of the Travelling Wilbury's first release from the library so I could copy it and have a digital recording of it. Last week I checked out Glen's blog only to find out they'd put out a compilation set which includes both Vol 1 and 3 (there was no Vol 2 - ever) and a DVD with the accompanying video releases of some of their songs. On the way to work I slipped into a local music and book store to get my copy - Sarah and Daniel had sent me a gift card for Father's Day. It was well used. There are 2 bonus tracks for each Vol 1 & 3 which I was sorely tempted to go straight to hear; I resisted. I've just heard the first two (Vol 1) - 'Maxine' and 'Like a Ship' - and they fit right in with the rest of the material + add another dimension. Great! I've skipped to Vol 3 to hear 'Nobody's Child' and 'Runaway' - 'Nobody's Child' features Dylan and Harrison trading verses and doing unison harmonies sounding like it could have been a Woody Guthrie composition, but it isn't. 'Runaway' is a cover of Del Shannon's early 60's classic - well done but unremarkable.

Tonight has been a quiet one work wise with a few restless souls up for smokes and drinks. I've organized a bunch of my various papers and written a slew of emails, so much writing that my hands are starting to swell and stiffen. Time to lay off, enjoy the tunes and wrap up my work for the night

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home