Monday, June 25, 2007

Connecting The Dots....

You're driving down a highway and at 1/4 mile intervals there are billboards that each have a single word on them. Here's what my signs are saying:

HEY!!.....

Stupid,.....

Smoking.....

Will......

Kill.....

Your......

Sorry.....

Ass.....

DEAD!!!!!

PERIOD.

I'm a little slow sometimes but what I thought was a long lasting chest cold / infection is likely a shift into second stage COPD. A couple of years ago, maybe a few, after a battery of pneumo tests I was diagnosed with first stage / onset COPD.

Lately I've been thinking about Dad and the sort of death he suffered; and that will be my fate as well if I don't smarten the hell up. He had one 'small' heart attack and survived; lost a lung to cancer and survived 12 years; was treated for prostrate cancer and survived; suffered through a course of treatment for throat cancer and survived. Over the years his remaining lung became less and less effective at what it was supposed to do - sustain life - and he finally died one night at home in his bed of COPD.

I hear you. Any time now...soon...soon....an end to death by installments.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Norm,

I wish you all the determination you need! Ahhhh, lessons in Powerlesness!

welcome back!

8:56 AM, June 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smoking is such a nasty addiction in that it seems to be the hardest to quit no matter how many signs and signals life hands you.

When you're ready, I'll be here cheering you on. :)

1:31 PM, June 25, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Thanks: Like I said...soon... it'll be time for action instead of desire and thinking about it.

1:33 AM, June 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home