Saturday, January 19, 2008

Busy Day So Far....

Lynda and I were up at the crack of dawn so we could get that job out of the way which we do each weekend. It was done and we had parted ways by 9 a.m. She's on the run today preparing to have some girlfriends from work over after they all go out to dinner - getting the house in order, shopping for food and drink. I came home to give my place a thorough cleaning; my boarder doesn't work but doesn't lift a finger around here. The 'joys'. Still suffering a bit with this cold so I'll be laying down for a rest, then cleaning myself up and making dinner before I head out to a meeting with one of my sponsees.

I haven't mentioned this for awhile but despite the cold I continue to smoke (dammit) but my appt with my neurologist is coming up and I'm hoping he will approve my use of a new drug therapy. Champix (Chantix in the US of A) attaches to the nicotine receptors at the neural synapse and over time works to reduce your urges to smoke. (Hi Sue) It hasn't been fully tested in people who have certain pre-existing medical conditions so whether he will prescribe or not is iffy.

We have a high pressure system passing through giving us clear skies and relatively mild temperatures but the forecast calls for sharply dropping temps tonight into the -15C range. Break out the long johns again.

I had another session with Woody last night discussing the outcome of his conviction on possession charges. 1 year probation, 25 community service hours, monthly attendance at a new drug court for young offenders, additional drug counsel through a large local agency, submitting to drug screening. He's had a few days to consider things and knows he got off lightly so his attitude has changed somewhat; he will be in full compliance. Should he have any breaches or new charges the consequence will be much greater and he doesn't want to experience that. Sidebar - I'm turning him into quite a good pool player. He beat me a couple of times last night, the bugger.

There was a call last night from one of the women I went to school with a few years ago asking if Lynda and I could come to a Jack & Jill (pre-wedding) party in a couple of weeks time. There are supposed to be a bunch of us from the class there so I'm going to try and make it. A little later on Lynda joined me here when she got off her afternoon shift so we had a couple of waking hours together and just 4 or 5 hours sleep before getting back up for the day.

Cousin BJ has had some troubles on the home front so there have been prayers and positive vibes headed her way. She has a terrific perspective on things and a strong faith which will see her through. Lots of good support, too - which always helps.

Time for a quick rest before I get on with the balance of the day. Happy Saturday!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you're getting plenty of rest. Colds can sure zap the energy of out of a person.

I have a friend who took Champix (she's in England). If you'd like, I'll ask her to stop by your blog to give you her perspective on it (provided it's ok for you to take it). I'm a strong believer in whatever it takes to help you quit -- as long as it doesn't undermine your health -- do it! Quitting ain't easy (but worth the effort!).

If there's anything I can do to help you out when you decide to quit, give a holler.

I'm gonna go check out your fun link now. :)

Take care of yourself, Norm.

7:05 PM, January 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. I just posted my "Joys of Quitting" again this weekend.. In case you're interested. No pressure. Just saying.

7:06 PM, January 20, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Hiya Robin - All input is welcome including that of your friend. One of the guys I work with is on Champix now and is beginning to feel the effects. I'll be checking in with him tomorrow to see how he made out over the weekend.
Today happened to be Lynda's 5 year anniversary for being smoke free so I got her a card.
I'll check for your post and ... no, I don't feel pressured. Just grateful for your ongoing encouragement. Just saying.

9:39 PM, January 20, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home