Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Topical / Semi Tropical.......

THE WEATHER!!!!!!

It's what eveyone is talking about. We've gone from the deep freeze a few days ago to shattering all standing records for the warmest temperatures on these dates; ever. +14C yesterday, same expected today with a possiblity of thundershowers this afternoon. Crazy, unheardof. Except where the snow had drifted high or plowed into piles, it is gonzo, nada, finito. Bottom line, I'm enjoying the respite from freezing and having to layer up to stay warm.


On another note (hiya Kel) I caught a 10 -15 minute docu on our national broadcast tv station - CBC - about the ongoing drought in Australia, its impacts and possible reasons for it. Very scary to have 2 years back to back - bad for the farmers, little or no crops = going slowly broke; bad at market, rising prices for what little produce there is. My memory is bad and I saw it a couple of weeks ago but it was shot at a place called (or similar to) Caraganal (?). The locals, as a gesture of defiance against the rain gods, built a lawn bowling green as a place to gather and socialize. Good on ya.


Yesterday I was to have been done and gone from work by 9 am but because of the variety, volume and nature of 'things' that had happened over the weekend our meeting ran way long and I wasn't away until 10:30. I stopped by Mom's for a quick visit on the way home - a cuppa and a chat - but I found as soon as I stopped moving I started fading. I jumped back into the car, came home and spent the afternoon on the couch listening to music and snoozing. There was an arranged appointment for the cable guy to come hook us up. Imagine having lived here for over 6 months without tv!!!! Haven't missed it one iota except the news. With my boarder here, Al, I figured I better get with it. Thing is the one outlet I wanted for certain to work - Al's - doesn't, and I have to have the tech come back. (Same company that screwed up my internet installation, btw.)


What to do today? Maybe a haircut; gettting shaggy. Clean up around here; sweep and wash some floors. Cook dinner and invite Lynda over - she's fine, thanks for asking. We may not see each other daily but at least talk a few times and email on those occassions when we can't be together. There's another session with my foster teen tonight - sure hope things are better for him this week. There are more things, software to be installed on this re-worked computer so it is fully functioning again. I haven't a lot of time here at home to fiddle and spend time on it.


Just had a call from work wondering if I can do another overnight shift to cover for a sick co-worker. Hurt me! I'll go attend to this and see how it all works out..............Later.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

can't pick the name of the aussie town, but sounds like they have some good aussie spirit there

no tv? well, there's nothing worth watchin here anyhoo...

channel 9, who used to be #1 free to air channel in Austraila, just moved Men in Trees to a 10.30pm timeslot and put repeats of a silly "reality" hospital show on at 7.30 where Men in Trees used to be

no wonder ch 9 is no longer #1

3:12 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Nothing quite like Aussie spirit, right?? Unless, perhaps the Canucks get in on it.

TV? I went for the most basic package - about 25 channels. The most extensive one offers likely 250; must be for shut-ins or terminal couch potatoes. Even with what I have I find it all to be mostly junk that isn't worth watching. My question - who produces all this stuff - and for whom?

9:54 AM, January 09, 2008  
Blogger Kel said...

25 channels and nothing to watch!?!

no wonder we don't bother with payTV and put up with free-to-air, there's still nothing to watch, but at least we're not paying for that nothing . . .

;-)

9:39 PM, January 12, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home