Friday, August 22, 2008

Frivolous 2

The original 'Frivolous' post was back near the beginning of July and it was about a big thistle we have in one garden. The plan was to help it grow to see how high it would go. It didn't exactly go according to Hoyle - I had hoped for somewhere between 8 & 10 feet. It stalled out at about 6 & a half.

Anyway, the reason I mention it is that as some of the buds mature and begin to dry they are attracting neighbourhood goldfinches. They come and perch on it and pluck the flowers causing the fluffy seedlets to float away on the breeze. I tried unsuccessfully today to get photos of them and will post any decent ones I manage to get in days to come.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck photographing those finches. They're pretty fast little birds. They enjoy sunflower seeds, too. :)

9:35 AM, August 22, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

If I can stand the bright sunshine and heat I might have to spent a couple of hours planted next to monster thistle and hope the birds get used to my presence.
and yes, they are darned quick....

3:42 PM, August 22, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home