Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Minds Awhirl

The material I've been reading, music I'm listening to, people I'm following up on and researching on the web have stirred my mind and emotions and awakened many memories. Now looking at that statement I know there is much more driving this state of mind - personal milestones, life stage, conversations with both kids, a visit on the weekend with one brother, free time to look back on the path that lead to this time and place. (and loneliness - Lynda has been gone almost a week; another one to go)

Part of what is driving this backward look is having been reading memoirs and relating what was going on in my life during those times. I had no expectations when I cracked the cover of the book but the tale isn't unravelling as I thought it might. There are detailed examinations of some few periods or events; then whole decades are dismissed or glossed over. In getting critical and frustrated with their effort I began to wonder how I would approach a project like that. I have to admit that I'm getting old enough that when I recall some things I'm unable to say the event happened when I was 25, 29 or 33. My memory certainly isn't perfect and my recollections may have been tweaked to suit me or embellished often enough that I believe them to be true.

The music I've been listening to all 'fits' into the same loosey-goosey sort of bag.
Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
Steve Earle - Washington Square Serenade
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
John Prine - In Spite of Ourselves

As I listen I check out lyric sheets, band members, guest artists, back-up singers, web pages, myspace pages, read reviews, watch video performances - follow my nose for hours and dig around. Last week when I picked up the cd's from the library I made an offhand comment about Steve Earle; how I thought he had gone wacko back around 2000. I'm happy to report that, in my humble opinion, he's back!! From all I've read it is largely due to his love for and marriage to Allison Moorer and their relocation from Nashville to New York. They've put together a terrific album - well written, arranged, performed and produced. Satellite Radio, Jericho Road, Days Aren't Long Enough are standout tracks.

I love this John Prine release with it's collection of duets - it must 8 or 10 years old now. (Good guess; it's a 1999 release) Must see what I can find that is current. I saw him once about a hundred years ago and I'd gladly plunk my money down to do so again. Here is a link to see he and Iris DeMent performing the title track, 'In Spite Of Ourselves'. Iris' song 'Our Town' is also worth checking out - nice guitar work, lap steel, fiddle. I'd like to know if there is a term to describe the vocal technique she uses on this - there's a very controlled, sustained ______ something???

About Lynda - We've had a few very brief check-in calls back and forth just to affirm things are okay, love & miss one another..... sigh....

Monday was Zeph's first birthday - Saturday is the party. I'm looking forward to Sarah's update. Oh, oh... just found some fresh pictures on Facebook - best do that from home. Maybe I'll call them when I get up this afternoon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fella loves Steve Earle. He's kinda made me a fan, especially "Days aren't long enough"... I first saw the video on youtube. I don't think they were married then. You hardly think, looking, they'd be a couple, but by gosh, it works.

7:28 PM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

I've gotta be happy for him to find such happiness. He's been through (put himself thru) an awful lot. He was carrying and expressing a lot of pent-up hostile emotion. Quite a turn around.

1:15 AM, August 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home