Thursday, July 31, 2008

Blather On Dude

A little news and a couple of things I meant to mention.... those being.... I added a couple of blog links so, welcome David on the west coast and Mrs UHDD from over 'ome, across the pond. I never know about the etiquette around these things so I hope you are happy to be here - any objections and I can remove you easily enough. There are a couple more which need changing and I will get to those when I'm able.

I had a very short check-in call from Lynda earlier this a.m. to say that while their flight had been a rough one, they had arrived in Trinidad safely. (Don't say a word but I miss her already.)

I tried keeping myself busy yesterday with a trip to the library and some food shopping. The quick and easy meals-for-one are a priority. When I cook for myself I dont like dirtying a lot of dishes. Books and music - I've read 80 pages already of Bob Dylan's memoir - Part 1 - 'Chronicles'. Another memoir I grabbed is by Frank McCourt's (of Angela's Ashes fame) brother Malachy - A Monk Swimming. Talented bloody family that. Music - The reviews of 'Magic' - Bruce Springsteen's latest - were awfully good so I got it. I have yet to give it a listen to see for myself. The other one I got is by a guy I used to really like, Steve Earle - 'Washington Square Serenade'. I am interested to see what this release is like because to my mind and sensibilities he went way off the rails back around 'Transcendental Blues'. Like whacko...... (just poke me, I'm full of opinions) I look forward to his ode to hillbilly heroin - 'Oxycontin Blues'.

In an effort to transform that weight I gained into something other than fat I took each of the dogs for extended walks last evening after dinner - separately. The younger one, Milo, is built pretty close to the ground so we did just a couple of km - that was plenty for him. Our older dog Freedom has gained some weight lately too so we did a longer more strenuous one up a long steep hill and that walk was likely 4 - 5 km. The temperature at that time of day had dropped back to about 75 but I was hot and sweaty by the time we made it back home. I figure this walking should also help get my back back into shape.

Strange weather, too. A thunderstorm for a couple of hours around noon, cleared up for part of the afternoon and early evening, and then another big thunderstorm with driving rain after 9 p.m. On the news last night they said we have now had the wettest July EVER with almost 200mm of rain. For you non metric folks that is a little less than 10 inches. Crazy..... never mind the rain - just bring on the heat for August.

I also had a brief conversation with my son - a quicky check-in to see that the baby is doing alright, that she and her mom are home from hospital. I may have woken him up or something but he wasnt very talkative so I let him go after getting the details. Kid needs a good boot up the arse some days.

There was a news segment about a new search engine - Cuil - so I tried a few searches with it. Try it; you might like it.

Time to get on with the day -- later.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've had a very wet July here too. I try not to complain too much since we had drought conditions last year. But all this rain is making the pond look very yucky (that's a technical pond term...lol!).

5:52 PM, August 01, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

I understand 'yucky'. During my brief 2nd marriage we had a pool and I think that summer set the previous record for cool and rainy.

Most days that we had rain the storms were short but very intense. Not a lot of all day gloomy stuff.

6:31 PM, August 01, 2008  
Blogger uphilldowndale said...

Thanks for the link, we have had over 36mm of rain today, yuk.

2:27 PM, September 05, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

You're very welcome - glad to have you here. I've been enjoying your posts.

9:51 PM, September 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home