Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Musical Naivete

Although I have, and always have had, an insatiable interest in music there are some forms that I've never had much exposure to. For instance... opera. Everything I know about opera could comfortably dance a polka on the head of a pin. I never could see the point to the seemingly 'extreme singing' nature of it. So, imagine my surprise a couple of weeks ago, when I found myself picking one out for myself at the library. Granted it was written by a composer I like and appreciate - Phillip Glass - but still; me listening to an OPERA??? (btw, it's titled 'The Voyage') It took a while to find the opportunity and open frame of mind to listen to it but last night and tonight it's been in the CD player. Gotta say - not bad.... though I don't expect I'll ever have a full appreciation for the genre as a whole.

For some examples of Glass' other instumental music; click on the link; hit the 'listen/watch' tab; make selections in the right hand panes. I enjoyed 'The Hours' and 'Etudes'.

http://www.philipglass.com/music/index.php

To-Do List - Get some music training and education.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home