Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Hamster-On-The-Wheel Mind

Much as I had cheerier things on my mind to write about tonight, I'm stuck.

Back before Christmas my friend, mentor and fellow group member Terry found out he had been diagnosed with and was then treated for an aggressive form of prostrate cancer. This was in the weeks leading up to he and his wife leaving for their winter long vacation in Florida. He was also informed at the time that the cancer had spread to his bones but that it was a much slower growing form of the disease. Since arriving home a couple of weeks ago he has had further tests and he gets those results Wednesday.

Earlier on tonight he was asked to speak at our home group meeting and gave a really good, thoughtful AA talk. Toward the end of it he began talking about this diagnosis and the fact that he has a timeline which has been given him leading to his ultimate demise. Best guess given the initial results: 2 to 4 years tops. Given that he has had months now to think about it I'm not surprised he was able to speak about it in such a straight-forward way but it certainly choked me up to think of this world without him in it.

The gist of the end of his message: no one leaves this earth alive..... do live to your potential each day..... continue to be of service to others; it allows you to shift the focus off your self.... retain your sanity through active practices toward maintaining your sobriety..... you determine how happy you are with your life.

I wish tonight I felt as balanced and unflappable as he sounded. I so hope his news is good come Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home