Friday, November 17, 2006

Getting political - Not!! Well, maybe a little.

I read an article last night that got me stirred up. It was about a man, Malachi, (who happened to be my age) who commited suicide in Chicago, self-immolation. The article covered the back and forth discussion about whether this was political statement (against America's involvement in the war on terror) or the act of a mentally ill/depressed man.

Qualification - I don't live in the U.S., never have. Travelled it some and have a number of friends there but I'm not a 'part of'. So, as a Canuck cousin, am I allowed comment?? I'm not looking for a fire-fight but what the hell.......

As an observer of our friend to the south the thing I've noticed particularily during Bush's administration is this: (which the article failed to address) dissent is seen as traitorous and so individuals have no forum for dissent without being branded as such. "Freedom of speech"; not in the real world unless of course you're in support of government policy. There's a ground-swell of anti-Bush feeling and that seems to be okay; don't dare knock policy, the military or the anti-terror efforts though.

Which brings us back to this fellow, Malachi. How else was he to express his obviously strong thoughts and feelings without being a pariah? How?? Surely he shouldn't have to resort to suicide to make a statement of protest.

Yes, I support the military alliance and their work; the importance of having unified support on the homefront but, at what cost to the individual and society at large?

Perhaps this is another case where I should keep my big mouth shut about something that doesn't involve me directly. But I'm human; I'm affected.

To see the article: click on the 'I guess I'm floating' link; go to Wednesday's links;(Nov 15) It's the last link.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home