Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Art Attack!!!!!

This always brings to mind 'tone poems' a la DeBussey - lyrical, pulsing waves of purest sound.


Insistent percussion holding the rhythm.


Dancing harmonies.
Fluid melody tracing the tune.

A couple of days ago Kel at 'the x facta' issued another of her art attack challenges. I've been looking forward to this as I'm finally getting the hang of posting photos here and so I'm able to participate in this one. Wooo-Hooo!!!



It did put me in a bit of a poser though cuz I've packed my art supplies but I think I have come up with a solution. Kel's challenge is to do a spontaneous piece in relation to your latest music purchase. My solution was to go down to the vault, rummage through the archive and sort out a few images that put me in mind of music in a graphic way. Although the solution doesn't fit the challenge 100%, I hope it'll do.



The music that I'm relating it to is a disc that's been in the deck for the last few days - (Surprise!! it's not Jeff Beck!!) - Mark Knopfler's 'Sailing To Philadelphia' release. He's another of my favourite players and covers a number of music styles on this one. His playing is always dynamic and fluid; the songs well constructed and executed. On this disc he has James Taylor guesting on the title track and Van Morrison on 'The Last Laugh'. Mark has issued quite a body of work since his debut with Dire Straits many moons ago. He has worked a lot with the band, done a number of solo releases, some soundtrack work and a seeming one-off Notting Hillbillies.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

Nice! I like your take on the art attack challenge.

As someone who always bends the rules of memes, and other web tag exercises, I can appreciate your own interpretation of things.

5:30 AM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Nice to be able to take part; next time maybe I can have chalk, india ink or pastels ready to go and really get the spontaneous part happening.

8:23 AM, May 24, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, Norm. Very cool.

6:49 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

High praise, especially when I consider the source.
I particularily like the way the last one turned out.

7:22 AM, May 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home