Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Wetlands

A long fallen tree that has been completely overgrown by smaller plants and vines creating a small refuge beneath.


Tracks left in the soft riverbank by a passing raccoon. He likely paused to wash and eat crayfish or minnows.
A look back toward the north across the marsh.

This is another wetland area close by that I went for a walk through yesterday and thought I'd share a couple of shots. This area is part of a protected system that reaches approximately 80 kilometers along Lake Ontario's north shore from Hamilton in the west to Newcastle in the east.

During the walk I saw a nesting swan, the ever-present Canada goose, a variety of duck species and a number of different sorts of marsh birds, a couple of which I can't remember having seen before. Must get a birding book if I want to find out. There were scads of red-winged blackbirds. Probably a kagillion, give or take a couple.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks like a very pleasant walk. :)

I think we have about a kagillion red-winged blackbirds here in the Bogs. It's an odd thing, but for years I couldn't see them and now they're everywhere.

I really like that first photo. All nice and green and jungly. :)

6:48 PM, May 24, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

We're seeing a number of species making remarkable comebacks from the DDT days including the red-wing.
On your Thankful Tursday list you mentioned goldfinches. Normally they appear in 2's and 3's - I was just outside having coffee and there were about 20 of them playing aerial tag, chirping to beat the band and having a ball. I love how they fly in short bursts, swoop and fall, then launch thamselves back up in the air again. If I should come back as a bird.........

7:29 AM, May 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home