Tuesday, August 21, 2007

It Isn't Stealing If....

.....you give proper credit, is it??

Truth be told, with so much going on lately, I've been feeling conflicted, restless, a little discontent, a bit irritable. 'Stuck'. Most of it has to do with the disparity between my expectations and real life, hopes and dreams, wants and needs.

Then, out of the blue drop little reminders of what it is I need to do. This courtesy of higherawareness.com.

How are you sabotaging yourself?

"If you play it safe in life you've decided that you don't want to grow any more."

-- Shirley Hufstedler

How are you sabotaging your potential for change?

We unconsciously use defence mechanisms to shield us from situations we perceive to be scary or painful. A part of you may want to grow and change, but another part may be resisting because change always moves you into new territory in your thinking and emotions.

If you find you are getting anxious, fearful, angry, frustrated, dismissive or unmotivated, then defence mechanisms are at work. Watch for them and know them to be signs of fear that wants to hold you back. Then courageously move through them.

"I have never been contained except I made the prison."

-- Mary Evans


Many thanks to Higher Awareness for a timely message.

By at least identifying the symptoms and recognizing them as problematic I've solved half the problem. That just leaves the tough part; the work. Examining my motivations, checking my perceptions, weighing my priorities, looking at possible solutions and chiseling away at the source of my fears. It's time to get off the fence and start putting one foot in front of the other. When I'm not moving ahead I feel myself backsliding into dangerous ground. Giddyup & go time.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger desertgolfer said...

Hiya, Norm. I started to post the other night when I saw the pictures of Owen. I have to change browsers to post. For some reason Firefox gets the "heebie-jeebies" (you are old enough to know what that means, aren't you?!? LOL) when I try to post. So, I have to switch to Safari or Camino. Yeah, I know - Mac stuff. Anyway, I'm totally enjoying the pictures. Family is wonderful, but I also really appreciate the door. Of course, anytime I see you smoking, it always draws my attention. I especially like the piece on How Are you Sabotaging Yourself. Hmmmm, gots to think about how that applies to my life as I'm sure it does. There is a comfort in growing older and sometimes just a desire to sit and see what happens. I'm thinking of "borrowing" this to put on the Smoking Cessation forum. Read carefully, one can see how these very same things sabotage a quit. I'm so glad that you continue to share your life and thoughts with us!!! Susie

11:40 PM, August 21, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Hi Susie - I'm always glad when I see from the stats that you've visited again; and thanks for your positive comments.

Although life is full with both very good and not-so-great things these days I manage to keel a pretty even keel most of the time. I need to appreciate the good stuff more and focus on changing the only thing that is within my power to change - me. Sometimes it's appropriate to wait and see how things develop; some situations call for action.

Oh, and I'd love to say that the 'heebie-jeebies' is way before my time but I'd be lying if I did.

I'd recommend subscribing to Higher Awareness for a daily dose of thought provoking writing - it's surprising how often they come up with some perspective that fits specific situations.

12:21 AM, August 22, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this, Norm. It's something I needed today. I've been feeling stuck which manifests as restlessness, frustration, and grumpiness in me.

I made a decision to take a step forward today. Reading this was a bit of reinforcement.

10:24 PM, August 22, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Good, I'm glad it struck a chord for you as well.
And thanks for BH - I don't always comment but I always come away thinking and/or refreshed.

11:21 PM, August 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home