Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Fat Pants, Skinny Pants

By the end of last week I couldn't bear to squish myself into the pants I usually wear and searched my closet for some older, roomier ones from a few years ago. Seems I've over-indulged somewhat at mealtimes and had a few too many sweet snacks between times, idled too much. I wrote awhile ago about reaching the 150 lb mark; when I stepped on the scale the other day I found I'm nudging 155. Just enough to feel I'm being cut in half when I wear my regular assortment of pants.

Ah well, better to have to wear old clothes than to have to run around pantless, n'est pas? And what's a guy to do in this situation??? Why,.... buy new clothes of course!! Maybe even a pair of those ones with elastic waistbands. (Nice, eh?) Exercise; bah!!!

Or I could resolve to eat less, eat smarter, and be more active. Whatd'ya think??

Anyway, hard on the heels of that last run of work this has been a busy week of catching up, running around town, doing a bit of visiting and trying to catch up on some rest. I was supposed to work today and tomorrow dayshift but the boss reneged on that (putting me into a foul mood for the day yesterday, which I had a tough time shaking out of). It's all in the perspective though - I'm due for a break and should enjoy the time off much as I could use that money. I still work Friday - one of those 26 hour sleep-over shifts.

Lynda was happy to walk into some yummy aromas last evening on arriving from work. I had browned some pork chops and then slow simmered them in mushroom soup with onion and sherry and spices - served over a bed of rice. Good stuff. Then we watched some of the best TV that we had seen in a while - the 2008 Honorees of The Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. It was a great tribute show which included video highlights of each persons career and then performances of either dance or music. 2 great hours spent honouring George Jones, Morgan Freeman, Twyla Tharp, Barbra Streisand, Roger Daltrey and Pete Townsend.

Our plans for tonight, New Years Eve, are weather and energy dependant. We're either going to an alcohol free city sponsored skate and music event; heading out of town to Lynda's brother's house party; or hanging here at home. It is supposed to continue cold with some snow forecast so we'll see. We'll see how energetic Lynda is after work.

Hey friends!! All best wishes for a happy, healthy new year. It has been wonderful sharing '08 with all of you. Let's keep sharing all the good stuff and helping one another through the rough patches. Blessings on all of us.

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Norm,
Happy New Year to both you and Linda!
May you both prosper in 2009 and beyond.
Stay well and enjoy the events this evening whichever you choose.
John

10:20 AM, December 31, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Right back at you JPW to you and yours. We're certainly heading into some interesting times. The absolute best thing about '08 was getting Lynda whole heartedly back in my life and reuniting back under this roof. Things continue to improve there, god bless us.

Email me with some news - You told me about the job change but last we talked you were looking to move house as well. Talk to me bud. How're the kids??

10:32 AM, December 31, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy new Year Norm and nothing but good things for 09. Keep your head to the wind.

Marty.

12:41 PM, December 31, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

One foot in front of the other on the path of happy destiny. Happy, joyous and free....

12:53 PM, December 31, 2008  
Blogger Lea Kelley said...

May you find the blessings in the new year that you gave away in "08, Norm.
Thanks for sharing with us!

2:33 PM, December 31, 2008  
Blogger Kel said...

i love the title of this post!

on this first day of 2009 i send you wishes of hopes and dreams fulfilled

even if it's as simple as fitting back into the skinny pants ;)

4:38 PM, December 31, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

ha - Ha - HA - HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Thanks Lea, thanks Kel for your good wishes.

I am aiming to be into those skinny pants before too long; I'm a comfort sort of guy.

Let's all have a great '09.

1:13 PM, January 01, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy 2009, Norm!

What did you decide to do? M and I ended up staying at home with our youngest son and his fiancee. We played some games, ate too much junk food, and watched the ball drop on TV. It was fun.

Got your email and am getting caught up here. I'll email soon. Being away for 5 days with no computer access has put me WAY behind.

4:38 PM, January 04, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Things have been way too busy lately.... I have some catching up of my own to do later tonight.

That sounds like a good way to have spent the evening. Good fun.

6:59 PM, January 04, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hear, hear~

3:44 PM, January 08, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home