Sunday, December 28, 2008

Randomness

This is going to be a catch-all post covering some recent stuff.

At tonights meeting I got the full lowdown on how those DVDs made it here to my work. My director friend Cindy also happens to be in recovery and was to pass the discs on to my coworker at last Saturday nights meeting. He left without them so Cindy and my 87 year old girlfriend Audrey decided to have an adventure and deliver them here. Without knowing exactly where they were going they eventually found the residence and presented themselves at the front door. They dropped the discs but not before being invited in for sandwiches and a cup of tea. Wish I'd been here for that - 2 women in a men's treatment facility along about 10 at night sitting yacking with a bunch of drunks and addicts in recovery.

Despite how little face time we've had lately Lynda and I have had some good times and conversations. I admitted to her last night that I've been smoking occasionally and she seemed to appreciate my honesty. Took the news well and asked a few direct questions about how long I intended to keep it up and how I was to go about quitting again. Hmmm.... good questions.... not sure about the answer though.

Had a phone conversation with my daughter Sarah on Christmas night out in Vancouver. She had called Lynda earlier in the evening to say she was having a dismal day after a run in with her sister-in-law and had removed herself from the situation. By the time I called her, her man and Zeph had returned home and things were running smooth again.

Due to the plunge in oil prices we're seeing some major relief at the pumps. Last summer we hit a high in the mid $1.30's per litre; tonight on the way to work I saw some stations at $.64 per litre. Incredible!!

On the heels of that series of snowstorms we have milder temps over the freezing point and today it rained heavily all day. With the thaw has come dense fog - pea-souper stuff lying close to the ground. Rivers on the rise - load the kids in the boat. At least we don't have to shovel this, T.G.

Particularly during my work weeks on nights I try to post here on a daily basis and most times that isn't a problem. Things haven't been that busy on the work front lately... to say the least. Last night though I simply wasn't in the mood to sit here and write anything. No tidbits of news, no opinions to share, no books or music to talk about. Neutral mood and more than a little bored not wanting to be here. I wound up watching an old favourite feelgood movie - 'Babe'. (yes, the one about the piglet) Even with that hiatus I was chafing at the bit to be on my way at 6. ** Actually, now that I recall, I was feeling 'seizure-ish'. Had a premonition that I may have one; weird visual shifts, hallucinations of odours. Never came about though. (For anyone new here - mine aren't of a serious variety; more discomfort than anything.) **

I was sitting here a couple of hours ago when out of nowhere a guy I don't know stuck his head into the office and said 'Hello'. Startled, I got up from the desk to say hi and shake his hand. He told me he had gone through treatment here 8 or 10 years ago and was in town for a party when he decided to stop by. We do encourage our program graduates to return to the centre but typically that invitation is for during business hours. Preferably clean and sober. This guy wasn't, smelling strongly of liquor. He maintained alcohol isn't a problem for him and that he is still clean of coke after all this time. Well, good for him and all that but I'd say his drinking impaired his judgment tonight.

When I'm done here I think I'll watch a DVD that I've owned for quite awhile but have never watched. 'Stevie Ray Vaughn - Live at the El Mocambo'. (recorded here in Toronto back in 1983, released in 1991) If there was ever a case of a talent being cut down way too soon this is it. Tragic loss, this one.

Time for a bite to eat and then the movie. Ciao.

** Here's a link to Stevie covering a couple of Hendrix tunes - Little Wing and Third Stone From the Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAG-kX_IlUw

The DVD was recorded the year of Stevie's first record release and features all the material from his first album with Double Trouble. Stevie died in a helicopter crash following a concert on August 27, 1990 at the age of 45. In 2003 Rolling Stone ranked him #7 on their top 100 guitarist list.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home