Saturday, January 24, 2009

Man of Few Words

It's been a quiet week on the blogging front as there hasn't been an awful lot going on. There are a couple of things I've been working on and working through..... indecision and procrastination are working against getting to a solution in either case. Primarily it's been another week split between work, sleep and a couple of hours daily spent with Lynda before coming to work. Oh, and there's that struggle to get any amount of decent sleep, too.

Most of the writing I've done this week has been email dialogue and I find those sorts of messages time consuming. Especially with people I don't know personally I try to take time and put proper thought into what I'm saying so that I'm not misunderstood. The thought process takes long enough; the actual typing takes at least as long. Speedy on the keyboard, I'm not.

There is a blog I've been visiting for the last couple of weeks that I'm impressed with and would recommend. A music blog written by columnist Simon Sweetman of New Zealand. He and I appear to have similar taste in music and I enjoy the way he writes. I came across him while doing seaches for Jeff Beck - Simon interviewed him recently. Find him at http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominionpost/blogs/blogonthetracks?source=nav
One of his recent posts was about having seen Leonard Cohen in concert this past week - sounds like it was a great show. It prompted me to go searching on YouTube where I found some of his videos but I also came across k.d. Lang's version of Cohen's 'Hallelujah'. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=P_NpxTWbovE
Sheer bliss - such an incredible voice!! As in 'gift of God' sort of vocal abilities.... and when combined with Cohen's incomparible use of language in his writing you get amazing music.

Another artist whose music I've enjoyed lately is Habib Koite and his band Bamada. He is a brilliant young Malian guitarist. Check this out: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=K4VRGALZdBA&feature=related

Here's a tune, My Sweet Love, from John Mellencamp's latest CD - Life, Death, Love, Freedom. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu_CAcJidaE

And a love song from Steve Earle and his wife Alison Moorer called 'Days Aren't Long Enough'. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=XBkimV4iQ9k

A treasure from an old episode of The Smother's Brothers show featuring Jefferson Airplane circa 1967. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1cfTMdjkYM&feature=related

If you don't like any of those there might be a problem with your ears.....

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

man of few words is heavy on the linky love this post

you have been busy surfing the sounds of earworms :)

4:36 AM, January 25, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Waht can I say, Kel?? Music moves my world. Gotta share what I think to be the good stuff... and it's perfectly alright if no one else agrees. :-)

4:55 AM, January 25, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Days Aren't Long Enough is me and Dan's song...


I shit you not.

2:45 AM, January 27, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Unbelievable!! That CD is the one I listen to most often and that is my favourite song from the bunch. Beautiful isn't it?? In composition, peformance and sentiment. and in the video, sealed with a kiss, to boot.

No, I don't think you're shittin' me.

11:26 AM, January 27, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Norm,
Thanks for reading and suggesting my blog. All the best,
Simon

10:31 PM, February 01, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

No problem Simon - I just call 'em as I sees 'em. It's time for me to come back and pay a visit - that Beck interview should be posted in it's entirety by now.

11:55 PM, February 01, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home