Thursday, January 15, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside

The weather is what everyone is talking about here these days. Today's high temp was -14C and we're heading down below -20C again tonight. Lots of cold associated accidents, fires, watermain breaks. Shelters are opening extra beds and doing more outreach trying to get the homeless to take shelter. Exposed skin can freeze in as little as 10 or 15 minutes; less time if there is wind.

I had a bunch of running around to do today and everything went incredibly smooth, tickety-boo, no waiting. A doctors appt, haircut, oil change - nice not to have the frustration of having to hang around cooling my heels. Layer up and give the car plenty of time to warm up and off I went. Hah! Layering up - I had a ridiculous amount of clothes on today but I won't bore you with the details. Normally I look like a long, tall drink of water - today I was somewhat rotund and was restricted in movement by all I was wearing.

Unlikely to post during the day Friday as I had yet another call-in for work; this time just a dayshift. Ching-ching. The weekend will likely bring a visit from g'son Owen and his Mom - Dad is on a business trip in Australia. I'm hoping they stay Saturday into Sunday again. Sunday night I'm back into my regular series of night shifts.

BTW - My comments regarding the weather shouldn't be interpreted as complaints, though it may seem sometimes that is the spin on them. Walking out of doors in this sort of weather is bracing, exhilarating and life affirming. (Though daunting at times - must be mindful of inherent dangers and precautionary measures.) If you haven't experienced it I highly recommend it even if it's for a short time.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home