Saturday, November 18, 2006

No rest for the wicked

By the end of my shift, come morning, I'll have worked in excess of 100 hours in the last 8 days. Lord I'm weary! Looking down the road at next week - my 'off' week - I'm going to have to schedule some downtime.

(and excuse me here; this is as much a reminder list for myself as anything else)

I have to be up, cleaned up, dressed and ready to head downtown by 3 Saturday afternoon in order to pick Mom & sis Linda up for our dinner with the rest of the family. This is a once a year occurence that we can all get together; same time, same place. Too, too rare.

If that happens to wrap up early we'll drop M & L back in the 'shwa and drive over to Ajax to hear an old friend of mine whose band is playing in a bar there. This band formed recently and they wanted something consistently complex to play in order to keep themselves entertained while entertaining, so they're covering Steely Dan's back catalogue. Friend Don is an incredibly talented guitarist and I haven't seen him play for a few years so I'm looking forward to it.

Sunday Lynda and I have a 'date'. Yes, we sometimes have to plan these things - get out of the house, no kids, no cooking, no interuptions. It has evolved since we first talked about it to include Lynda's best friend, Joanie and her new b'friend Annan. (Who both hail from Trinidad) We're heading back to the Indian Kitchen north of Toronto - great food, friendly service.

Monday I'll be heading into downtown Toronto for my job interview. I've done about all the mental preparation that I can and would like to walk in and say, 'I can do the job. Now give me the damn thing and lets get at it.' Unfortunately things don't work that way so......deep breath....calm....smile... a small prayer...

Once the torture is over I'm going to the college where I did my Addiction Studies course to spend a couple of hours with instructor Steve and his class. You know, give them the benefit of my IMMENSE experience in the field. LOL. Alky posterchild. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!! Then it's back on the train to Oshawa in time to attend my home group meeting.

Tuesday I have no plans; none. Don't write, don't call.......I'm busy doing nothing. Not likely but I can dream, can't I?

Wednesday and Thursday we have professional development days being held at a golf & country club north of Toronto. Always interesting and fun.

Thursday night I've been asked to speak at an area meeting; always a challenge for someone who isn't comfortable being the focus of attention. When you're asked to do something in this program, you do it; as a way of paying back the debt owed for your sobriety. Much as public speaking isn't my strongest suit I have no trouble filling 40 minutes of air-time -- go figure.

As to the end of the week, I have no clue. I'm available to work and hope to score a shift but I hope to be busy celebrating a new job. Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

what a week you have planned

your speech for the job interview made me laugh, that's what I'd love to say too

5:11 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger Robin said...

That's downtime???? Sounds like a very full week to me. But there's fun in there so at least it's not all work and no play.

Wishing you lots and lots of luck. A little more than requested, but a little more won't hurt. :)

11:55 AM, November 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home