Monday, November 27, 2006

On the other hand

As a way of making amends for the political post the other week at the expense of our American cousins.........

........any time I've travelled in the U.S. I've found people to be very friendly and helpful. This is for Glen, Robin and Patchouli.

Where have I been?? Lemme tell ya.

Buffalo, Rochester and the Finger Lakes region of upper New York State. The Eastman estate in Rochester is a must see - it's been kept as it was lived in by the family circa 1880-1910. Adjoining it is their photo school, archive and gallery. (Eastman Kodak). Buffalo - great shopping. Finger Lakes - picture postcard pretty.

Brooklin Michigan numerous times for the June NASCAR stock car races. I stopped going because the drivers I rooted for kept dying; I felt like a jinx. Beautiful track, incredible fan support - 100,000+ on race day. (Go Mark Martin!!)

Did a two week driving tour of Texas & New Mexico in May a few years ago. 100 deg F by 10 am every day - gotta love that! If I was ever to move it would likely be the lake country south of Waco or to Austin. Carlsbad caverns were amazing. We found another magic spot in N.M. too and it had nothing to do with mushrooms either.

Florida - Ft Myers, Ft Lauderdale, the Keys. Nice people, good food, cheap beer - oh yeah, I don't drink any more. I liked the Keys although being surrounded by that much water sort of freaked me out. Dunno how I'd make out on a cruise ship - stay below deck I suppose.

If I ever have money again I'd like to drive the west coast from Vancouver to San Diego. Roam through Arizona, see more of New Mexico, see Colorado, the Dakotas and Utah.

I have no idea why but I have little desire to see any of the central states or the eastern seaboard - except of course N.Y.C.; give me a month there, maybe a summer. I'd like to see where particular artists worked - like Georgia O'Keefe or the Wyeths. (hmm.. I think that's Pennsylvania)

Anyway, if you look for the good in people you'll find it everywhere - it has nothing to do with artificial boundries and borders. If you're looking for freaks and geeks - look no further than our Prime Minister. LOL.

1 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

No need to make amends. There have been times when I've threatened to leave the U.S. and never come back (I wonder if the Shrub would miss me? LOL!). I don't care much for our politics here. The wrong people have been in charge for too long. I'm not sure the so-called upset of the recent elections will make much of a difference given how much alike the major political parties here have become.

Ooops, I didn't mean to start a rant. I'd better stop now before it becomes a novel.

You might have to come visit us in Pennsylvania. We'll be just down the road from where Andrew Wyeth has his pictures framed (Chadds Ford, PA, his hometown).

12:32 PM, November 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home