Thursday, February 22, 2007

Flight

All my life I've had a fascination with things that fly; whether it be insects, birds, paper airplanes or any of the machines that man has made, from the earliest aeroplanes to stealth aircraft to the space shuttle. At one time I'd considered becoming a pilot and was encouraged to follow that dream by my father but that plan didn't come together. As I was nearing 30 I did hang around a jump zone for a summer and made one ill-fated parachute jump. That was probably the most exciting 10 minutes of my life - I loved it right up until I landed. But that's another story.

This was brought to mind as I was going through a journal last night and happened across a poem that I'd cut from a local paper a couple of years ago. The poem was written in 1941 by a Canadian pilot named John Magee Jr. I hope you enjoy it.

'High Flight'
Oh! I have slipped
the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies
on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed,
and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds-
and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of-
wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence.
Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting
wind along, and flung
My eager craft through
footless halls of air.
Up, up the long, delirious,
burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept
heights with easy grace
Where never lark
or even eagle flew-
And, while with silent
lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed
sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and
touched the face of God.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home