Friday, February 09, 2007

Checking In

What can I say: busy times. I've been doing some extra work this week here at work and that's been filling a lot of my time. I've also been trying to get organized so that the various spheres of life slide along , so much as possible, without clashing. It's sometimes problematic juggling home, work, and AA program commitments while still trying to have time with extended family and friends - especially on this shift.

My boss was kind enough to give me a few hours off tonight at the being of my shift so that Lynda and I could take in a play at a local theatre. It was a Canadian play called "Dancock's Dance" set in a prairie mental hospital at the end of WWI; the lead character being a shell-shocked soldier. It wasn't exactly a laugh-fest but it was entertaining, well produced and acted. Nice to get out and do something together.

Last weekend we watched a terrific movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", which was produced and directed by the Coen Brothers and stars George Clooney. It's very loosely based on Homer's 'Odyssey' but set in depression era Mississippi and the leads are 3 escaped convicts who find themselves in a series of extremely unlikely situations. They meet a blind oracle, have a run in with the sirens, are hunted by a determined law man. It's an absurdist tragi-comedy. The kicker for me was the soundtrack which was ably music produced by the inimitable TBone Burnett. I love all American roots music - folk, blues, gospel, bluegrass - doesn't matter, if it's well done I'm into it. There is some incredible, hauntingly beautiful music contained here and the way the songs have been matched with the scenes...awesome. There's a baptism scene at a riverside set to the tune 'Down In The River To Pray' that is breath taking. There's a follow up DVD release called 'Down From The Mountain' which recorded a concert at the Ryman Auditorium of many of the music artists and bands who contributed to the movie soundtrack. I haven't tracked it down as yet but I intend to.

The other night on my way to work I dropped in to a used CD/DVD store and bought "Standing in the Shadows (of Motown)" which gives long overdue credit to the group of musicians who backed all the great headlining artists of Motown Records through the 60's and early 70's - The Funk Brothers. The film contains extensive interviews with the remaining members and music performances with current singers. When it's all pulled together in this manner and you get a glimpse of the writing, arranging, production and music talent it's mind blowing that this group of men were able to come up with the range of material that they did. More hit records than the Beatles, Stones and Elvis combined. Wow!! It's a 2 disc set and I've only seen the first one so far - maybe tomorrow night if it's a quiet one.

Later.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home