Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Musical Overtones

"There are no coincidences" is a fairly common saying in the rooms of AA in this area. Check this out.

Anyone who checks in here on a regular basis knows what a big part music plays in my life. With these last 10 or so days having been so emotionally loaded I've been actively avoiding listening to most of the music that I normally do. Everything is associated with the people, places and things that are nearest and dearest to me. What can I say - I'm human; I choke up and get weepy.

So, I've been doing one of three things: enjoying the silence in order to think most clearly; checking out my limited collection of classical music, (mainly the 3 B's,) to calm my thoughts; or, blasting the most aggressive head-banging thrash /punk /techno /alt I can lay hands on to drown my thoughts and go with the flow.

Yesterday I was driving along, grew tired of what I was listening to, shut it off, tired of the deafening silence and decided to turn on the radio. As I was reaching for it I had a premonition that whatever song happened to be playing was going to be significant to me and contain a message.

The Rolling Stones - You can't always get what you want.....but if you try sometimes, you might just find, you get what you need.

Coincidence..............I think not. And there are people out there who believe there is no God. For me he's as close as the radio tuner sometimes.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I had a crazy friend in school and we had a strange game we'd play. When we got into one of our friendly disagreements, we'd turn to the "magic box of lies" - the radio. We'd turn it on for a few seconds, and the first thing we heard was the answer to our dilemma! Needless to say, sometimes we simply packed up laughing.. :-)

There's much to be said for the random message that just feels right. I've experienced a lot of that lately, and although I've been struggling with the concept of God, I do believe there is a direction to life, a path laid out clearly - if we will but listen.

1:45 AM, March 07, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Good to hear from you Michelle. I'm liking the concept of your and your friend's game. It could take you in all sorts of directions. lol

You know I check your posts regularily and have for some time - I've noticed a distinct decline in the number that mention church / religion. There has, over time, been a shift to the simply spiritual and your search along those lines. And that in itself is a good thing; keep on with your search. You have a good path and I enjoy following your trail.

When I think of some of the possible songs that I could have tuned in to it makes me shudder on the one hand and quake with laughter on the other.

Thanks for being out there.

3:22 AM, March 07, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

hey, I play that game too
message meanings from the radio
funny how we all find each other :)

2:35 AM, March 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home