Friday, April 06, 2007

More Music Notes

As I've been packing I've been gathering music from all corners of the house. The music gets spread around when there are two main sound systems (Bose and NAD) plus a couple of other CD and cassette players about. Tonight I brought quite a selection to work and I've been listening to a treasure that had gone missing for a while.

John Prine is one of America's premier singer/songwriters who typically gets slotted into the 'folkie' category. His talents as a songwriter range far beyond any sort of label; he's a chronicler of the human condition and experience. John is able to do that with a healthy dose of humour and irony. I had the pleasure of seeing him in concert about 20 years ago when he played at Toronto's Massey Hall.

The release I've listened to tonight is 1999's 'In Spite Of Ourselves', which is a selection of old country duets performed with a number of female country artists from yesteryear (mainly; oops - except Emmylou, Trisha Yearwood, Patty Loveless and John's sister Fiona) The CD has 16 tracks and like any really good country album, it contains a whole world of hurt. John included just one song of his own; the title track. Particularily recommended is 'I Know One' performed with Emmylou Harris; beautiful fiddle and steel pedal guitar work. Plus I relate to the lyrics, fool that I am.

If I'm recalling the reports correctly John has spent the last few years in Galway, Ireland. Next time he passes through town on tour I intend to be there soaking it up.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home