Sunday, March 25, 2007

Upcoming Hiatus

Now that my workweek is almost over "The Plan" comes into effect. Seeing as I've had no time to devote to getting the house ready to sell, that's where my time and energy will be directed to the exclusion of everything else. (Well, except the meeting I'm chairing Monday night) That and finding a place to move to. If I were able to do that it'd make things much easier knowing how much space I'll be working with.

What it boils down to is that I don't expect to be posting here for a bit unless I'm unable to sleep and need to find something quiet to occupy myself with.

We're into a 'good day/bad day' cycle. As good as Thursday evenings dinner and theatre was, contrasted with Friday eve before I came to work - it was BAD. Enough so that it continued to affect me straight through the night. I just wasn't able to shake it. (And thus, didn't post) Tonight before work we were back to getting along fine; sorting what each is taking, trading this for that, laughing things off, big hug on the way out the door - go figure!?!?

REALLY BIG NEWS!!!!! My copy of Jeff Beck's 'Official Bootleg USA '06' CD arrived in the mail Friday. I'd listened to it in bits and pieces in the car and have gone straight through it twice tonight. I don't have superlatives big and encompassing enough for it. He's a master craftsman at the top of his art form. Stellar. The fact that it was produced from the raw soundboard mix makes it even more amazing - no edits or overdubs. He closes with a performance of 'Over The Rainbow' that just about makes you weep.

I'm going to try and 'cut and paste' a link here. It's a 12 minute monologue by late night talk show host Craig Ferguson about media's responsibility to leave 'at-risk' celebrities alone when it's apparent they're about to self-destruct. He references the Britney Spears and Anna Nichole Smith situations; then relates it to his own alcoholism and recovery thereof. I wish more people would speak out against tabloid print and TV - they pour gasoline on potent personal situations, then run about gleefully reporting on the escalating despair. Sickening. Check out Ferguson's thought provoking take on it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bbaRyDLMvA .

Twelve minutes well spent.

**update - I just tried the link and it didn't work - maybe it will for you. If it doesn't, I'd encourage you to track it down on YouTube.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The link didn't work for me, either. I'll go to YouTube and look for it. I agree with you about the tabloids. Even the mainstream news reports way too much on celebrities, especially those who are out of control.

I might have to look into that CD, too. Sounds good.

I'm sorry about the ups and downs. It's got to be confusing. I hope things smooth out for you soon.

9:54 AM, March 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home