Thursday, July 12, 2007

Order From Chaos

Ever so slowly things are gradually coming together on the new home front as one room at a time is getting cleaned, sorted and arranged. Lynda and I took turns / worked together Sunday and Monday cleaning and arranging the kitchen. Tuesday I spent a couple of hours giving the washroom a thorough scrubbing. Wednesday I managed to set up the computer in the living room, a stereo system in the bedroom and got the windows gleaming in the living room. The woman I bought the place from is a heavy smoker and I couldn't believe the crud that came off the windows! Damned smokers!! (I haven't smoked indoors for a couple of years) I can't wait to tackle the wall washing and carpet cleaning in order to get rid of the stink. There was also a half hour visit from my real estate lady, Dierdre, who came bearing gifts - a really handsome wall clock and a 'welcome friends' greeting sign. Got a big hug too!

With the computer up and running I have music on the ground floor via all the downloaded songs in memory. What an eclectic mix I had happening today; bluegrass, folk, blues, brit pop, straight ahead rock, punk, thrash, techno, country, aboriginal. I'd like to burn a number of cd's to load in a six pack player I have in the bedroom that are conducive to relaxation, meditation and sleeping so, this is your invitation to submit suggestions for downloads. I should do another one to unpack boxes to; there is still plenty of that to do. And stacks of papers to sort and file. The furniture arrangement in the living room is a work in progress / flux / change and there is still the surround sound system to set up. That should determine where seating will be, then side tables, lamps, bookcases and music storage.

Lynda and I have been back and forth on the phone half a dozen times today, plus a few emails. Our movie date is for Sunday to see the new Harry Potter flick so Lynda has borrowed all the previous ones from a g'friend and we're to see the couple of most recent ones before we head to the theatre. We might wind up 'Pottered' out by Sunday night.

I might just slide by the house on the way home in the morning to pick up a set of heavy light-blocking drapes for the bedroom in hopes I'll have a better sleep today. Yesterday after being up for 24 I got 5 solid hours of sleep plus an hour and a half of light broken snooze before getting up for the day. More and better today, I hope.

Pretty mundanesorts of stuff but that's all I have for tonight. Later!

5 Comments:

Blogger desertgolfer said...

Hey, Norm - I'm really enjoying your descriptions of the move. It actually sounds quite exciting and invigorating. Not that I think I want to pack my house up right now - LOL - but there is something to be said for always having goals and things to look forward to.

I, too, am anxious for you to begin washing those walls. Both my husband and I were smokers and smoked in the house we owned before we retired and moved. My husband spent several weeks washing the walls and ceilings so that we could sell the house. Don't know how I got out of that, but I can tell you that it wasn't a pretty sight! Just remember this as you're washing off all that yellow - the same gunk you see coming off the walls is what's coating your lungs and innards. It can be an amazing incentive to quit. I know, I know, I'm not playing fair. LOL All my best - Susie

2:03 PM, July 12, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

You may not be playing fair but what you're describing is exactly what I was thinking when I looked at that cloth - yuck, and I willingly inhale this stuff!!

Ya think I could try and con your husband into lending a hand with this project?? No? I didn't think so; it's a little much to ask. Damn.

Thanks for staying in touch.

11:49 PM, July 12, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

happy house warming
hope you find a place for everything
can't wait to see some pics

5:16 AM, July 13, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

Thanks, doll. I'm looking forward to having some time next week to devote to getting things shipshape. (Instead of an hour at a time like this week.)

I'll see about some pics - it isn't that big or pretty but it's home now.

8:42 PM, July 13, 2007  
Blogger Kel said...

TAG - would you like to play the 7 random facts meme . . .? see my blog for the rules :)

3:29 AM, July 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home