Friday, August 24, 2007

'John'

We had an hour together yesterday afternoon at local coffee shop and got caught up on the months since his son's murder. He continues to experience bad times and some bad days but I'm pleased to say he's handling it all very well. He and his wife have been working through things themselves without any formal counselling. I suppose when you get to John's age (late 60's) you expect to lose friends and relatives along the way but nothing can possibly prepare you for something like this. In a perfect world no parent would ever have to bury their child, even an adult one.

John met us at our outside meeting last night, got reaquainted with a few gents he knows and we sat together. He's planning to come to the in-house meeting tonight; says he misses the homelike atmospere of 'the house'. It's a positive sign that he feels like socializing again - good on him. (BTW - he's remained sober through all this; kudos)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mega- and uber-kudos. I can't begin to imagine what this must be like for him.

5:26 PM, August 26, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

When I relate what happened to his son to my own children, I shudder. The reality of it is that even having spoken at length with him I can't imagine what it must be like either. I pray I never find out.

11:57 PM, August 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home