Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Unofficial End To Summer....

The autumnal equinox is still a few weeks away but with this last long holiday weekend, Labour Day, it spells the end of the season for many. Vacations are over and it's back to the real world of work and school. The weather couldn't have been better with temps in the high 20's during the day, dropping to the high teens through the night. We've enjoyed cloudless skies, endless sunshine and low humidity. Glorious!

One thing I notice particularly with swapping shifts about each week is the shortening daylight hours. Not so long ago the sun would be up before I left work in the morning and wouldn't set until well after 9 in the evening. Now it isn't up until I've arrived home in the a.m. and it's setting before 8 p.m. with no lingering dusk. It gets full dark in a hurry. We've been losing over a minute of daylight each day since June 22.

I was out on the veranda awhile ago appreciating the moment - the half moon, the stars, the sounds of frog song and crickets, the slight breeze, some high hazy cloud easing in from the northwest. Worries?? What worries? More like a mindless (thought-less) serenity.

There are a few trees changing colour already and it can't be because of cooler temperatures as we haven't had any. I think it must be a reaction to the drought conditions and high UV counts. Lynda and I were walking Freedom through the greenbelt behind the house the other night and were surprised when we reached the creek; we've never seen the water level so low, the creek so narrow. All the trees look dusty and wilted; the lawns parched.

With berry season at its height I've been buying them like crazy as they're at their cheapest. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, mulberries poured over ice cream or yogurt, with a cup of granola or cereal mixed in. To die for.....to be enjoyed while they last.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

you're leaving summer while we head toward it

i don't like summer much
except for the fruit you can get then

i'm more an autumn/winter person
except there's no nice fresh fruit

:)

5:15 AM, September 04, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

If I recall correctly I threatened to come visit you and Mr X during our last winter.

I work cheap and promise to bring fresh fruit.

I love summer - I could do with 4 seasons of it.

Glad for you that you're back on home turf. :)

6:09 AM, September 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Autumn is my favorite time of year. I don't think we'll have a very colorful one this year because of the heat and drought.

11:45 AM, September 07, 2007  
Blogger Norm said...

I think all the leaves will wixen on the branch and fall as dust.

Anything decent on the colour front will ne shared tho.

3:09 PM, September 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home