Wednesday, March 19, 2008

7 Days and Counting....

It's a week smoke free; a good week without many rough spots. I had a few more cravings than usual tonight but they came and went fairly quickly. On guard against complacency......

I can't recall what we learned in school about the withdrawal syndrome associated with nicotine but I would think 3 to 5 days would be the upper limit for physical effects. That tells me that it won't be a physical urge that will put me in danger; it will be a mental lapse if anything. On the phone with Lynda a few minutes ago to wish her good night - she says it takes 10 days to break a habit. That, according to the original 'old wife', her mom Mother Mary.

A few things about this interval: Mentally - I've been incredibly scattered. Really!! I haven't been able to focus or concentrate; unable to recall much of the week. Outwardly I've gotten on with people alright but inwardly I'm ready to snap. Bitchy, judgmental, critical, biting my tongue.
Emotionally - good, maybe a little too even in mood. Too controlled.
Physically - Coincidence?? I think not!! The same day I went for the hypnosis I also went to my MD and was prescribed a different puffer. The puffer in conjunction with not smoking has finally relieved the chest problems I had been experiencing for umpteen weeks following the cold I had. I can breathe again and don't wake myself hacking every time I move in bed. The pains from beneath my ribs are waning. Hallelujah!!

I'm trying to follow through as closely as possible with the list of recommendations the hypnotist gave me to do. Lots of water and certain foods to detoxify, bank (at least) a portion of money saved, listen to the cd of our session at least once a day, breathing exercises, positive affirmations, review work papers.

News that I've quit is getting around in dribs and drabs to family, friends, co-workers and extended (program) family. It's nice to be able to make declarative statements like, 'I no longer feel the need to smoke.' My kids are both in their mid twenties and the times in their young lives when I didn't smoke is beyond their memory; neither of them can believe it yet.

It took me more than a year of thinking about this; contemplating, anticipating, worrying, praying, discussing..... to finally put things into action. Thankfully I have lots of good supports around, both local and 'out there'. I was ready, I suppose, for a solid quit effort and the hypnosis made it 'do-able' for me. I don't know whether I'd have had this amount of success left to my own devices.

Please, don't let this end.....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home