Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Random Meanderings....

..... I'm slacking so far this week; maybe because I haven't anything pressing on my mind. So, it's another grab bag of odds & ends....

Tuesday was daughter Sarah's 'champagne' birthday - 27 on the 27th. Lynda tried calling her earlier & I just tried myself; both of us got her answering machine. She's out having a good time, I hope.

Living as I do in southern Ontario there aren't many instances where my attention is directed to specific places in America. Today, for the fourth time in the last few days Wichita, Kansas has cropped up. We have an invitation to a reunion there in July for the various branches of Lynda's mom's family. It was probably fairly common a hundred or so years ago to have immigrating members of the same family to straddle the border and have some settle in the States & some here in Canada. Being a prolific lot there are relations spread across the continent but mainly concentrated in the Wisconsin, Indiana, Ohio, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas corridor.

Back on the weekend I took Mom to my cousin's 60th birthday party at the family cottage north-east of here. We got there early so we had a good long visit with him before more family and his friends arrived. That's when things got a bit twisted.... Mom's 92 year old brother doesn't hear very well despite two hearing aids.... is blind in one eye and can't see very well with the other.... is having trouble with his memory..... and likes his wine. It was good to see him but communicating with him was frustrating. The twisted part was cuz's friends; the bunch of them (12) have made a point of staying close ever since they were in high school together 40+ years ago. They still work from and refine the same script as always - and they are the most antagonistic bunch I've ever seen. Honestly, I don't know how they refrain from coming to blows. I was glad that Mom and I had planned to leave at a specific time and stuck to the plan. After being exposed to this lot for a couple of hours I was ready to exit.

Lynda and I had a nice relaxing time between her arrival from work and my departure for work. We made dinner together, ate and then wandered the yard playing with the dogs and figuring what changes to make to the yard and gardens. Just before coming to work one of my (numerous) brothers-in-law dropped in for a visit - Scoot is a hoot; funny guy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home