Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Unexpected Gifts

Early last week my boss called me up for what turned out to be a couple of reasons - a) to see if I would cover someone else's shift, and b) to see if I was available to join him for lunch on Friday. 'Sorry about the shift; no can do but, hey I can do lunch.' I met him here at 'the house' and off we went to a local restaurant. Our conversation ranged around various topics some of which related to work but just as many were completely off that map. He was telling me about some of the factors, personalities and issues he deals with in management - interesting to get his perspective. I was waiting for the penny to drop, for John to push a button or broach a particular topic and it never happened. The meal came, was eaten, bill paid and we were driving back when John said other staff had told him of my recent 5 year medallion presentation and even more recent birthday. He then reached into the back seat and produced a wrapped gift - a book. 'Congrats; good having you around.'

I'm enjoying the book. It's a compilation of short humour pieces by Jack Handey called 'What I'd Say To The Martians'. He has some impressive creds including having been published by The New Yorker, National Lampoon & Playboy and he is a former staff writer for Saturday Night Live.

A free lunch AND a gift...... now how about a day job?? Hmmm???? C'mon, I know ya wanna.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home