Friday, October 24, 2008

Fair Is Fair

A week or so ago I was bitching here about the revamped CBC Radio 2 programming so I thought I'd better own up when I hear a gem. (..... and this is one more indication lately that Portland, OR is hot.) I was listening the other night and heard a segment from a concert recorded early this summer with a group called Pink Martini. They're a large ensemble of 12 core players and they play Jazz - jazz with a world flavour and a lot of well polished attitude. So they should as they are an incredibly talented lot of writers, arrangers, instrumentalists, vocalists and producers. Vocals in 8 languages!! Mon dieu!

This concert from Calgary should be added to the Concert On Demand page before the weekend is over so you can stream it at any time. (There is a wealth of other great material to be mined here as well which can be searched by the name of the act / artist, venue, city or genre.)

http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/cod/

Cuts I heard included 'Tempo Perdito', the Arabic ballad 'Bukra wba'do', as well as their current album's title song 'Hey Eugene'. Bookmark that page and don't say I didn't tell ya!!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omigod!

Omigod!

Omigod, omigod, omigod!

12:04 PM, October 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you tell I'm familiar with Pink Martini?

I've tried to get my grandmother tickets to their concert the two times they came here, and it's always completely sold out before I've even formed thought about it.

I was omigodding, cus when I was in Americorps, we had to go to all these trainings.

On our final 3 day training course, one of the work shops was this awesome drum circle with the percussionist from Pink Martini.

They have a lot of members, I don't remember what his name was, but he had us using cups and sticks, and just really simple materials, and by the end of an hour and 15 minutes, we had this sectional drum piece... it sounded very intricate, with three groups patterning to each other.

It was really, really cool.

12:07 PM, October 25, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

God, you make me laugh!! Such enthusiasm!! I hope they post concert so you can have a listen soon.

For those who aren't familiar (and I should have done this in the post, I know) here is a link: http://www.pinkmartini.com/

Thanks for sharing the work shop story.

12:51 PM, October 25, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Post 'the' concert....

12:51 PM, October 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home