Friday, October 17, 2008

It's A Wrap

Although I normally try to post nightly during my work weeks I missed last night as I read the last 100 pages of Gonzo: The Life Of Hunter S Thompson. Actually I stayed here late because I didn't want to leave the last 10 pages unread before I went home. I'm glad I did. It had made me want to revisit some of his writing that I have previously read and track down some that has been recommended. For anyone who has an interest in him and his writing I recommend this book to gain a better insight to the man behind the typewriter.

Things I liked: - the variety of sources, or as described in the book, the cast of voices. Everyone from the unknown guy next door to the high profile rich and famous chip in here with their perspective and talk about the common experiences they shared. Family, friends, colleagues, film stars, politicians....... you name it.
- the extent to which they were willing to share about how deeply their lives had been affected by Thompson.
- the fact that, at least as I perceive it, it's got a tone of unswerving honesty to it. Good, bad or ugly it's in there whether it reflects well on Thompson or not.

I found the first half of the book laid all the necessary background of his upbringing, education and early career including the early Rolling Stone years. As it progresses into the second half it covers the highwater marks and then the gradual decline; it gets darker and darker.

If you'd like to go to the motherlode for information regarding Hunter check out www.hstbooks.wordpress.com. On a couple of my previous posts I had comments from Martin - the fellow whose blog that is - so I did a little checking and came upon his site. I nosed around the site for a while earlier on tonight and like I said - it's the motherlode. Great commentary, how to find the 'hard to find', audio and video recordings, information on limited editions..... check it out.

Hmmmm..... what to read next??

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norm, that's a fairly spot-on assessment of the book.You pretty much echo my thoughts. Many thanks for the mention too. It was mighty decent of you. I'll be in touch soon...

3:58 PM, October 17, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

Hi Martin and thanks - great minds think alike??
No need to thank me for the mention - I calls 'em as I sees 'em. If I had thought it was crap I'd have said so but you have a terrific compilation of info there. Kudos.

10:20 PM, October 17, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great minds think alike is true Norm, but fools seldom differ too.
I think we fall into the first catagory though...

7:50 PM, October 18, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

I'd like to think we do too but I may have a friend or two whose opinion would differ in regard to me.

11:14 PM, October 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home