Monday, October 13, 2008

Ring Round The Moon

Ahhh, back at work again. 3 a.m. and the moon is almost full. There is an enormous ring around it. How big?? With arms extended the ring is as wide as two fists on each side. That is big!!

This past week was way too hectic; too much running for me and it made the days choppy. A couple of hours at home, then a couple at Mom's with her dog, back home to let our two out to run, out the door to pick up stepson #3 from his job and get him home, home to eat, back to Mom's. You get the picture - that was my week. Not enough time at home to really apply myself to any one thing but I did strike many small things off my to-do list. Bits and pieces add up eventually.

The best and most consistent thing about it was the weather; it has been really fine for this time of year. Clear skies, warm temps. Beautiful! It's supposed to continue until mid-week before it cools off and we get some rain. Today is Thanksgiving so amidst the prevailing big picture chaos I'll remember to be grateful for the small picture blessings. Wife, home, family, work, relative sanity and health..... and I don't mention it often but yes, sobriety. Makes life sooooo much easier. 5 years, 2 months and counting, a day at a time.

Coming back to work after the week off is always an eyeopener because the mood of the residence can change so drastically with ongoing admissions and discharges. Right now it's a pretty good well motivated group of guys with one exception. I'm keeping a close eye on one mentally disturbed guy and doing frequent checks on him - suicide watch. Come morning I expect he will be discharged and transferred to a mental health facility until he is stabilized. Address the mental health issues and then tackle his addiction problems. We aren't set up to help him properly here.

A couple of hours ago I called my daughter out in Vancouver for a quickie check in. She has begun working a few days a week now that Zeph is over a year old. The poor little guy has had the flu for the last few days but is showing signs of improvement. He's also teething like crazy - 5 or 6 teeth - so that isn't helping. Tomorrow night I'll try to time it right so I can speak to my son in Calgary to find out how that grand-daughter of mine is doing. News has been scanty on that front lately. 2 and a half months old already.

Lynda is recuperating nicely from her dental surgery but still has some pain, swelling and bruising. It takes a lot to slow that girl down. She's glad to be off the mushy diet now.

Listening tonight to Steve Earle's Washington Square Serenade (brilliant); Susan Tedeschi's Hope and Desire (beautiful); New Guitar Summit's Shivers(bodacious). Dylan's visit to our town is just a month away so next up will be Modern Times (bewitching) - gotta get warmed up for that date with Bob. Hmmmm... anyone catch Tegan and Sara on Letterman last week?? Good stuff.

Time for another look at that big ole moon.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw a very large ring around the moon on Monday, too. We've also been having nice weather. Rain finally moved in early this morning with a cold front. Gonna be a wee bit chillier from now on.

I'm not up late enough to catch Letterman. Does that mean I'm old? lol!

11:05 AM, October 16, 2008  
Blogger Norm said...

God, I think I'm getting old...was it last night the ring was back again?? Same, beautiful.
After that single post I had 15 -20 search hits for 'ring around the moon' - all from upstate N.Y and over into N.J.
If I have to be up early I can't stay up late. If I can't sleep I watch Craig Ferguson after Letterman.

3:19 PM, October 16, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home