Saturday, January 10, 2009

Lost Friend

Every Friday night we have an in-house meeting and there is a small core group of alumni who show up every week for it. Rain or shine, holiday weekend or not these fellows are here; for their own benefit and for the good of the guys going through treatment.

On arriving in time for the meeting tonight I was shocked and saddened to hear one of them had died today. 6 weeks ago David was a vital 69 year old gentleman brimming with energy and good cheer. Last time I saw him a couple of weeks before Christmas he mentioned he was feeling off and intended to get checked out by his doctor. At first look it didn't seem to be serious but his condition worsened rapidly and he spent Christmas in hospital undergoing a battery of tests. The diagnosis was pancreatic cancer. His deterioration was incredibly rapid. Now, just a couple of weeks later he is suddenly gone.

David went through treatment here a little over 3 years ago shortly after I started to work here. He really invested himself in his stay here and jumped into A.A. life following treatment. He and his family were enjoying his recovering life. He always showed up at least an hour before these Friday night meetings and we've enjoyed many talks. I'm finding it difficult to believe he's dead and we'll never have another of those talks.

I checked the local paper's online obit page and it is posted already. I know where I'll be Sunday afternoon. Paying tribute to a friend.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lea Kelley said...

Norm,
I'm sorry.
I can tell how much you care about what you do and that translates into how much you care about the people.
I would bet that David knew too, evidenced by showing up early for your chats.

2:10 PM, January 10, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

In a way I wish we were a little prescient so we could know when the last goodbye is in fact the very last. I'd have hugged him instead of shaking his hand. He is missed.

9:49 PM, January 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home