Monday, January 05, 2009

Shotgun!!

Just sayin' - this will likely be a mish-mash of everything, all depending on how long I can continue typing away here.

New Years..... a couple of people have asked. We were undecided about which option we might choose and it was the weather that eventually determined we would stay in to celebrate. Through the day I went food shopping and picked up a small roast of beef. I slow roasted it along with some onion, garlic and sweet potatoes in a simmering sauce I threw together; did up some beets for a side dish. Lynda was home by 4; we ate around 6. I kept popping outside with the dogs and the temperature kept on dropping through the evening until it was down to about -20C. If we had to park and walk to the arena we had planned to go to we would have frozen by the end of a couple of blocks. We decided quite happily to stay in. Lynda was asking me where all our games had gone. Neither of us could remember if we had thrown them out back when we split and I moved, or if I had taken them with me to the townhouse where they would be gathering dust in the basement. So no Yahtzee, no Boggle, no cards, nothing.... we watched a 2 hour show on TV, then headed to the basement for bed. Lynda found the event we were going to attend being broadcast on the local cable station so we got to see the festivities and music acts anyway. Unfortunately we were both so tired we didn't manage to stay awake until the countdown at midnight.

New Years Day was full with some housework, a bunch of phone calls to family spread across the country, and packing my gear for that overnight shift Friday. I tried to find time to post from work Friday but that idea didn't pan out. I was the guy on the bubble here that day; short staffed to boot. My workload was actually light as my admission didn't show and the guys due to be discharged had left a day early. I ran one afternoon meeting session and hosted the in-house evening meeting. After 17 hours on the floor I was burnt and ready for bed. Unfortunately, as often happens to me here on those shifts, I was unable to sleep with the details of the day swirling through my brain. Back up at 6; woke the clients at 7; ran the census meeting at 8:30 with the Saturday cousellors; home by 10.

As I was getting in Lynda was on her way out on a mission for a couple of hours. Within a half hour her eldest son J arrived with his son Owen for what we had expected was a day long visit. We were happy and surprised they had packed to stay overnight. Once Lynda had arrived back home and we all had a chance to visit together for a couple of hours I wound up crashing into bed for a while. The bunch of us had a late pizza dinner while we watched hockey. The moments leading into the game held one of those incredibly precious snapshots when Owen's dad told him that the anthem wouldn't be sung until the end of the game because it was a Juniors tournament. He promply stood up and sang the entire Canadian anthem with his hand over his heart. Lord, times you wished you had a video camera!! Following the game Owen decided he wanted to sleep with Gramma and Pops so all three of us headed down to climb into the king sized bed. When he has done this in the past he has lasted at best half an hour before heading back upstairs to sleep with his parents. This time he made it right through the night; Lynda on one edge of the bed, me on the other and Owen lying horizontally between us. His feet on Lynda's belly and his head firmly planted between my shoulder blades; so comfy. The child slays me.

Owen turns 5 next month and he is as sharp as a whip. (Brag, brag, brag...) Counts past 100, knows the alphabet, recognizes letters and letter combinations and associated sounds, picks pictures that start with the appropriate letter, adds simple sums. He sat down with a couple of books Lynda had bought him for Xmas and was quite happy and interested to work away on them. Wait til he hits kindergarten.....

When we were up Sunday morning the bunch of us drove over to the townhouse for breakfast with stepson #3. He was foolish enough to ask us; we took him up on the offer. Bacon, eggs, sausage, home fries, toast, coffee and tea. It was all great. All it cost was Lynda's and my time doing up the dishes afterward while the two brothers had a visit and played with Owen. J and Owen split for home and Lynda and I had a full afternoon until I laid myself down for an hours rest in preparation for tonights shift. We had leftover turkey - hot turkey sandwiches - before I came to work.

More food - there is always a dinner left for me here; whatever the guys in-house eat, I also get. So, besides all that other food I've eaten since Sunday morning I also had a quarter chicken dinner a few hours ago along with dessert and a few sweet goodies along the way. I won't be losing these few extra pounds anytime soon if I keep this up.

What else?? I'm looking incredibly scruffy these days because I decided to change the line of my beard. Normally I keep it trimmed just above the jaw line but I've let it grow all up my cheeks until I figure out where I want to crop it. 10 days to 2 weeks growth now and I can't get over how much salt is in amongst the pepper. Grey, white and silver with the dark brown and black. Nice....

Mood wise I'm good. Lynda and I are really good. Much as I enjoy the holidays I'm happy and relieved they are over. It was a drag working nights through Christmas week again this year.

Thinking wise, these days, primarily I am grateful. That I have a wife, family and friends to care about and who care for me. Many people don't have that. That I have a home, and warmth, and a bed to sleep in. Many people don't have that. Back to food - can't forget food - I have a refrigerator and cupboards full of food and drink to quench my hunger and thirst. Many people don't have that. I enjoy good mental, emotional and physical health (I know; the mental part is debatable). Many people don't have that. That although I'm displeased with my job I am happy in these times to have meaningful work. Many people don't have that. That my addictions to alcohol and drugs have been relieved, my obsession has been removed. Many people don't have that. I don't have to search very far or deep to find reasons to be grateful today. T.G.

Hmmm.... about an hour and a half typing. That's enough, that'll do. All the news that fits.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Confessions of a Wandering Soul said...

Hey Norm,
I happened to stumble upon your blog by chance.I have only this to say.You are truly a remarkable man.Not all alcoholics have the courage to admit that they are suffering from this family disease which affects not only the individual but the loved ones as well.I'm sure your family would be very proud of you.And you for one should be proud of yourself for taking this gigantic step. Kudos to you my friend.All the best to a new YOU!

10:32 PM, January 06, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

I must confess I'm glad your wanderings brought you this way. (Mini ha ha.)

No, really - welcome! I'm always happy when someone new stops by and cares enough to leave a message. Thanks for your kind words.

Thankfully, by working a program of recovery things do get much easier as you get more time and work under your belt. Life continues to improve - what more can I ask of it??

11:02 PM, January 06, 2009  
Blogger Confessions of a Wandering Soul said...

Thank you for dropping by.Just wanted to share this aspect with you. I've never had a father figure in my life since I was a teenager. My dad was so preoccupied with his alcohol that he forgot about us. If not for my mum, I wouldnt know how we would have survived. Would you believe this! We stayed under the same roof for 16 years but not even once did we utter a word each other. All he did was hurl verbal abuses at me. And that was the environment I was born and raised in till the age of 29. Even for special and memorable occassions like a wedding reception,he would turn up drunk. But I'm glad the nightmare is over now. For a man who refused to admit that he had a problem, he has definitely come a long way. I respect him so much for that. He has been sober for the last 6 months...thanks to family intervention. I sincerely wish you and your daughter all the best. You guys are winners and fighters in my eyes :).

7:51 AM, January 07, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya.

I enjoyed reading this. Nothing meaningful to say, except I loved your gratitude list. I can't read other people's lists of things they are thankful for without being reminded of all I have to be thankful for.

Thank you for the reminder, I hope your 2009 rocks.

:)

3:42 PM, January 08, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

So long as my needs list is covered I don't have to worry much about the wants.

I hope you have everything on both those lists this year. Good to 'see' you Am.

12:08 AM, January 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home