Tuesday, February 03, 2009

A Tonic, .....

a balm, ..... an elixir.......

We had two days back-to-back with clear blue skies and temps on the plus side of freezing. To me it 'felt' like +20C but in reality we probably got up to 6 or 7. It was nice enough to sit outside mid-afternoon to drink my wake up coffee and be comfortably warm. Beautiful!! Just what I needed after a very snowy Saturday where I had to shovel the driveway twice; once around dinner time and again at 10 p.m.

With the warmth Sunday and Monday we had quite a thaw and lost a fair bit of the snow that fell Saturday. Not to worry, there is plenty left. We're still on track to set a snowfall record for the season - about 15 cm ahead of where we were last year at this time. Within a day or two we're heading back to night time lows below -20C again and day time highs around -7 to -5C. C'mon spring!!!

************
One of the counsellors here had an 'Anger Inventory' quiz which I asked to copy. Later on when checking it out it was split into 6 areas and was comprised of about 30 questions which help you identify how you process anger. I was able to see one area that I continue to have problems with; it fell under the label 'Moral Outrage'.... and has to do with big picture systemic sorts of things which are beyond my control. There were also two other areas where I used to have issues but not any longer. I must be maturing and getting more right-minded as I age; what a concept!!

Once I was done with myself I started looking at it from other people's points of view. Apparently Lynda is pretty healthy in her dealings with anger. Stepson #3's score came clanging in at a relatively unhealthy '5'.... but he's better than he was say 5 years ago. Stepson #2 is in need of some help. He had scores in 5 of the 6 areas and had multiple hits in a couple of them. I wish him well, I wish him happiness but I can't see him ever attaining it by his own devices. So very happy I don't live in his head. God bless him.

Anyway, in respect to all that; I rarely allow my personal feelings about any of our clients to affect how I treat them. There are 3 in-house right now who are feeding off one another and negatively affecting the quality of other client's treatment. Here comes the 'moral outrage' where I question why they have been allowed to stay so long when it is apparent they have no interest or purpose in being here. Largely I've been correcting their behaviours when appropriate, ignoring it when it is minor and trying to focus instead on making other client's stays more positive. Afterall, we are here to treat, not discharge. For some all we can do is plant seeds that may come to fruition at a later date.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Lea Kelley said...

Wow, an "anger inventory" quiz.
That would be interesting to take.
Moral outrage is a good anger, I think.
I like your perspective on treatment.

11:41 AM, February 03, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

I looked for an on-line version to link with but none of them were as good as what I had been given.

Moral outrage can be a good motivator for change. My problem with it I feel impacted by unseen forces - which seems unfair - the anger is difficult to discharge appropiately - and I sometimes hang onto it too long - feel victimized.

Re treatment - I care for clients in direct relation to their level of need for change and their desire for it. If they really want it I'll do anything for them. If they are taking up space and people's time I encourage them to do so elsewhere.

1:24 PM, February 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home