Thursday, March 19, 2009

Floating An Idea

Tonight I spent a good deal of time hemming & hawing about, then eventually writing an email to my boss. Earlier in the evening I was reading the plaque mounted on the outside wall near the entrance and noticed we're approaching the 20th anniversary of when this treatment facility opened. Plus this house will be 150 years old!! having been built in 1859. What a great excuse for a party!!

I laid it all out for him - notify the three local papers and 3 radio stations to get spot ads. Invite municipal, provincial and federal politicians who represent this area. Have an open house for local residents who have displayed some curiosity about the place anyway. Involve local businesses - raffle a selection of their donated products and services. Contact past clients and their families to invite them for a BBQ lunch - there are literally thousands of past clients. Set up a stage and have an open jam for entertainment. Bring staff from head office and our other two residences out to the country for a break from the city. Tie it in with the Canada Day long weekend.

It went on and on..... and I hope the idea will be met with some enthusiasm. It's a good opportunity to promote ourselves and what we accomplish here. Enabling people to effect positive life changes through abstinence from mind and mood altering substances via the application of 12 Step recovery in their day-to-day lives. That's what we do and we do it well.

We have three months to plan and pull together this shebang. I hope the idea gets some backing and action.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

what a proactive guy you are Norm
i hope the boss appreciates you

having been like that in past jobs, i know that usually the person that floats the ideas gets to make sure the whole thing happens too :)

wishing you energy to burn

6:40 AM, March 19, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great idea, Norm.
I am certain it will come together perfectly—one step at a time— and be a great success!
Good Luck!

12:45 PM, March 19, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

I'm just up for the day and checking emails and such. There is an early positive response from my boss. Just now another came in saying he had kicked the idea up the ladder to our CEO. Apparently he just about wet his pants at the prospect and wants to meet to discuss it.

Kel - I know John loves and appreciates me; wishes he could have me on days. C'est la vie! Maybe he'll pull me in to organize the 'do'.....

Lea - Thanks for the encouragement. This would relate to step 12 - carrying the message of hope for change. I'd love to see it happen.

2:49 PM, March 19, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home