Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Possessed of a Worried Mind

They say, whoever 'they' are, that bad things come in threes. I feel like Damocles waiting for the final sword to fall. Two so far; one to go.

Lynda arrived home shortly after I'd gotten up for the day. 'You look like hell. Your cold isn't any better?? You're going to feel worse once I tell you this.....'. She'd gone to pick up her youngest son from his workplace and deliver him home. He was in a stormy mood when she picked him up and when she asked what was wrong he unleashed a string of 'expletive deleted' curses and told her he'd been fired. One of the owners of the company had mis-read a situation and begun targeting him early last week. Today his supervisor was forced to let him go against his own wishes. They lost a good worker there. His room-mate had just started a job today after being out of work since Christmas. Couldn't we just get them both working and paying rent at the same time... consistently??

One of Lynda's idiosyncrasies is that she rarely ever calls me at work - maybe once or twice in any given year. Tonight she called around 10 p.m. and my automatic question was, 'what's wrong?' She'd gotten word that her Mom, Mother Mary, had been rushed to hospital late in the afternoon. By the time she was called they were into doing a bunch of diagnostic tests, had her stable and comfortable on morphine, and were monitoring her closely. Half a dozen of Lynda's siblings were at the hospital and relaying updates to the rest of the clan. I'd been hoping for an update myself but Lynda might be in transit back to her hometown. It seems every time something important happens I'm at work. I'll get a fresh read on things when I get home. In the meantime prayers for a speedy recovery will have to do. I love that lady like she was my own Mom.

** update on Mary ** She's been released from hospital and has a daughter or two keeping an eye on her and helping out. There are more tests to be followed up on before a treatment plan comes together. Whew!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

do good things come in threes too?
i hope so
and send a prayer that the tides will turn for you and yours

11:35 PM, March 17, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Good question Kel.... I'm not sure but it sounds good to me.

Gotta think positive and create some good vibes. Thanks for your good wishes.

12:08 AM, March 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home