Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Visitations

Lately, seemingly everywhere I go, I am seeing hawks. Small swift ones, large soaring ones, some up close, most far away.... in back of the house over the greenbelt, while driving. I'm beginning to think they must be my totem animal as they draw my eye more and more these last few years.

Yesterday morning I was standing in my boss's office talking with him and through the window behind him I saw one swoop between the branches and land in a tree outside. I said, ' Look John, we have a visitor.' He rose from his desk and raised the blinds to check out this Red-Tailed hawk sitting 30 feet beyond the window. The bird seemed to sense we were there, hopped about on the branch a few times to show his various sides and after about a minute made a jump and with a massive swoop of his wings was aloft and gone from sight. A big rugged looking character with tawny coloured feathers on his breast, darker brown on his back and deep umber tail feathers. John sat back at his desk and said,' I'm all covered in gooseflesh! That was amazing to see him so close! Did you invite him here to visit? He had a sense of familiarity about him.' I had to declaim any sort of responsibility but acknowledged I had enjoyed the visitation as well.

A few minutes later into the conversation John was speaking of a good friend who had passed away last week and he caught me looking back in the direction of where the hawk had been. John smiled and laughed, 'Do you suppose....??' 'I can't say John but perhaps he just dropped by to say goodbye, so long and see you later.' Who's to say? Not me.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

it's interesting that John asked if you invited the hawk to visit . . .

8:38 PM, March 11, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love catching a glimps of large wild birds like that. I occasionally see hawks here in Oregon. I've even seen a few Eagles but only rarely.

7:30 AM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Kel - yes, I guess in that John occupies that office 5 days a week (mostly) and hadn't had that happen before, he correlated my presence with our friends visit.

He was saying this morning that he had seen a giant pileated woodpecker the other day also - something I had just been mentioning over at red Ravine to yb and QM. Wish I'd been there to witness that as well.

10:19 AM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Our hawk population here has really bounced back over the years since DDT was banned. At one time they were endangered but seemingly they are now robust.

I've seen very few eagles in my time and only when travelling in the west. British Columbia and Alberta. They are truly something to behold. These last few years there have been webcams set up in a few nests. I'll have to go searching to find another of those.

10:22 AM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hawks are considered "messengers" in tribal lore.
So I found this post just a little bit profound.
Thanks

1:04 PM, March 12, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

I'm unaware of what exactly the lore is, so thank you Lea.

Now I have the chills....

3:57 PM, March 12, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooo, that's interesting what lea said, in combination with your story.

Maybe it *is* your totem animal.

2:39 PM, March 16, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Am & Lea - I meant to say in response to Lea that I have some links to follow up on and see what I can find out. Maybe it *is*!!

11:44 PM, March 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home