Monday, March 02, 2009

Keeping Still

Of late I haven't had a lot to say here because, increasingly, I've been in an ongoing state of pain. You see I can't be comfortable for very long whether I'm sitting, standing, walking or lying down. There are a number of factors at work but number one I'm sure is age..... and all the stupid things I put my body through when I was much younger. Likely just too much snow shovelling this season; too many working hours; not enough rest, blah, blah, blah. It has resulted in a flare up of old back problems, tendinitis and renewed pangs from arthritis. Stretches and exercise aren't having any positive effect.There is a medication I used to use which I might have to get back on but the side effects on my stomach were enough to make me stop using it a couple of years ago; time to give it another shot, I suppose. Increasing multiple doses of ibuprofen aren't working anymore.

I'm finding the pain is wearing me out; wearing me down. Lately sleep has been my refuge and I have slept solidly. There's just that occasional problem of changing positions or eventually getting up out of bed. Creak, crack, crunch,.... snap, crackle, pop. The swings in the weather don't seem to be helping either - going from mild and damp to bitterly cold and dry - I feel it all in my bones. Friday saw temps drop 30C in 16 hours from a damp +9 to a bone chilling -20; brutal on the body and psyche.

During my week off I accomplished little and didn't push my self very hard. Some light housecleaning and cooking was about it..... oh, and looking after the pets. I'm not the only one around the house who is feeling off. On Tuesday I had our younger dog, Milo, to the vet for a procedure on his ears. One ear is infected and he's on meds for it. Friday I took Freedom up as well to get her checked out; her hind end is seizing up; she's having difficulty when she first stands to walk and with climbing stairs. She's on a couple of meds including a glucosamine food additive. Oohhh, the joys of getting older, eh, girl??

In a nutshell that's why I've been keeping to myself a bit more than usual with little to say here and not so quick to comment elsewhere. I'll continue to cull any photos I think are worth sharing and get them posted. For right now though this has been enough sitting - time for a walk about the house. Yeah, I'm back for another 7 night stand and I've already been asked to cover a series of dayshifts starting 24 hours after I close off this week. Later....

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

g'day norm
sorry to hear you are in pain at the moment - it is an energy sucker

good to hear you are getting sleep though, as that helps

wishing you wellness soon

8:35 PM, March 02, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Thanks for the good wishes Kel.

Yeah, tired AND sore AND bitchy wouldn't be a good combo. Things will turn around soon; I just have to be gentle with myself for awhile.

10:08 PM, March 02, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain, Norm. I know how wearing (and wearying) that can be.

I hope you feel better soon.

11:08 AM, March 03, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

Thanks Robin; better day today.

1:17 AM, March 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home