Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Not A Quitter....

.... usually.

But the time has come again for a serious attempt to quit smoking. I've been back at it since sometime in late October and I'm feeling the effects. Thankfully I've managed to keep it quite a bit below the amount I used to smoke. Unfortunately it's still making me feel like crap.

Last year I quit on my son's 25th birthday; my planned quit date is our grandson Owen's 5th birthday. Tonight I registered for a quit smoking contest run by the Canadian Cancer Society where you commit to abstaining for the month of March..... with the intent that if you manage to quit for the month you'll have the incentive to carry on the quit. Top prize is a new car..... not bad.

Between now and the quit date I intend to do some writing about all the background reasons I have to want to quit. Besides that my principal aid will be the CD recording of my hypnosis session from last years quit. I might put in a call to the hypnotherapist Lauren to review any notes she might have kept from our interview; might help, can't hurt. Perhaps some regular directed prayer for the relief of the obsession to smoke will help as well. 'Thy will, not mine be done.'

Soon I'll be saying, 'I quit'.... and hopefully it will be for the very last time.

New blog friend Rao writes here at 'The Age Of Geek' about his recent success in quitting.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Norm, I'm back. It looks like I have some catching up to do. I'll be in touch soon. Hope all is well.

1:02 PM, February 17, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

There may not be as much to catch up on as you think. I haven't been around here as there has been a lot of work.

I hope your trip was everything you hoped for... and then some.

1:34 PM, February 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you lots of strength, patience, endurance, and luck for your new quit, Norm. :)

I did a lot a couple of books worth of writing during all the attempts and this final quit, especially in the early days. In fact, posting every day, even if I had nothing much to say about it, made a huge difference for me in this last quit.

Sorry. I tend to start giving advice when it wasn't even asked for. Bad habit. One I should probably quit. ;)

11:34 AM, February 18, 2009  
Blogger Norm said...

No, no.... thanks for your re-newed best wishes. I need all the help I can get so bring on your best advice. Ultimately I benefit from the experience of others.

Hmmmm... sound familiar?

It's a good thing having outside encouragment and support.

2:35 PM, February 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home