Thursday, February 19, 2009

Restless Natives

There hasn't been an awful lot of time to write these last couple of nights as there have been a constant flow of residents up and down through the night. Some have things on their minds that they want to talk out; others disturbed by material covered during the day that won't allow them decent rest; a couple are struggling through treatment while nursing coughs and colds. One guy is due to leave at days end and worries about what his immediate future holds - I remember that feeling of hope tinged with fear. 'Will I make it a day? a few days? a week, month... dare I hope a year? No, stay in the moment and work through the next hour.'

Between these visits and my tours about the house I kill a few minutes here and there checking videos on Youtube. I was surprised to find most of Jeff Beck's brand new DVD posted there. Hell, it hasn't even been released in N. America yet. From what I saw it is a 'must buy' and is supposed to be out on March 11. It features guest performances by Joss Stone, Imogen Heap and Eric Clapton. (Then I went hunting for a video of Imogen and Jeff performing 'Rollin' and Tumblin' but all I can find is an audio version - damn fine song - go check it out.) Imogen has her own youtube channel with a video blog that is worth having a look at.

Other than that things are pretty much the same. Lynda and I are getting along fabulously well. I continue to look for other work but there isn't any to be found. Finances are a struggle cuz I'm still carrying the townhouse with little coming in from the boarders - may be forced to turf one of them. Lynda's niece may move in with us in another month or so if she finds a college work placement near us. She is eighteen and chuck full of life, as she should be. Good kid. I don't expect to have any dayshifts next week and am looking forward to having some time off. Watch now - someone will surely get sick and I'll be called in last minute. My week is more than half done - 4 nights done and 3 to go. Woo-Hoo!!

A few weeks ago I saw a post on 'Quinn Creative' about making copper book covers and had mentioned it to a counsellor here. He's to bring in some light gauge sheet copper for me to fiddle with sometime in these next couple of days. If I like the outcome I'll share it here. Quinn's post reminded me of a shop project back in high school that turned out well. There are all sorts of tooling you can do with it, plus acid etching, embossing, debossing, burnishing and enamelling. We shall see.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home