Monday, February 16, 2009

Off Hiatus

.... I'm BACK.

There has been way too much packed into the last few days to try and recount here. The only important things have been getting out with my loverly wife for a Valentine's dinner back on Friday night; and we spent the afternoon and evening Saturday with Owen out at his place west of Toronto.

The dinner was delicious at our favourite steak joint; Steak Neptune.... choice cuts grilled to medium and smothered with Bearnaise sauce which was laden with shrimp, scallops and crab. And crunchy asparagus.... and hot sourdough bread. Oh, and the company was great as we rarely manage to see one another never mind actually get out and enjoy each other's company. It was a treat.

Owen was a blast, chuck full of love and enthusiasm... just go, go, going the whole time we were there. 'Let's do this Pops.' and 'C'mon Gramma, I want to show you this.' Counting, spelling, adding, drawing.... you name it, we did it. On and off through the day Owen was trying to maneuver us into staying over night and explaining how we could work the sleeping arrangements. Along around his bedtime Lynda told him that we had to go - that we had a long drive ahead to get home. His eyes welled up and he threw his arms around Lynda's neck... then she choked up and got all teary. For a minute there I thought we might just be staying the night. Only after assurances that we'd be back for his 5th birthday party next weekend did he settle down again and we were free to get on our way.

What else?? Well, lot's else actually but it's just plain busy sorts of stuff. Lynda had some running to do with a friend Sunday while I attended a district AA committee meeting in the afternoon. Pretty dry stuff (no pun intended) but I'm still getting used to some procedural changes with the new position I was elected to. Back at home we kept a steady feed happening for the washer & dryer of clothes, sheets and towels while dashing about before a quick lie down in preparation for coming to work. This could be a long shift as there are a few hours to go and I'm rapidly running out of steam. I think I'm due for some extended down time.

I expect to be short changed on sleep today as I'll be waking to a houseful of company - out of town family are coming for the afternoon and dinner. It will be a rushed muddle getting time with them, getting cleaned up, eating, and out the door again to work. This is a long weekend for most (not I) here.

There has been some talk between Lynda and I about me (maybe) taking a 2 or 3 day trip to Calgary so I can meet my grand-daughter Madison. She is almost 7 months old already and I'm feeling badly that I haven't made it out there yet. Must get talking to her Mom & Dad.

Along with the good stuff there is some discord. Ever get that feeling that although things are apparently going the way you wish them to, there is something running below the surface that just doesn't quite 'click'?? I'm doing my best to discount the feeling and believe it's mind play at work but.... I also find I'm doing the 'turtle' thing and pulling in all the extremities for fear that something is about to be lopped off, shocked or pierced. My nose and toes will re-appear ever so slowly once I have some indication everything is kosher and on the up-and-up. The human mind is a strange thing, n'est pas? It's probably a reaction to having to spend considerable time in the company of someone I detest..... and was unable to avoid or otherwise get away from with any degree of grace. Amazing just how long a four hour span can be; it seemed never-ending.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home