Friday, December 01, 2006

What else?

Lynda and I are m..o..s..t of the way through another of these weeks where we don't see each other because of the way our shifts run. Hate em, hate em, hate em!! Two more nights. She's been working some wicked overtime rather than hanging around the house while I sleep. We were talking earlier tonight and she sounds good; happy with the progress she's making against the never-ending avalanche of paper she deals with every day. Her department needs a few more like her in order to make headway instead of being continually backlogged. We've planned another date for Sunday dinner; woo-hoo! You know what they say about absense.

The cold I was coming down with seems to be in remission and that's unusual. Once the symptoms start I'm usually down for the count. Over-sleeping worked this time. All my free time on M, T & W was spent in bed; 10 hours, 11 and 10 respectively. On this shift I run most of the time on 5.

I haven't heard from either of my kids since immediately after they returned to their respective homes so I'll have to stir the pot there. The time difference makes calling a problem but maybe an onslaught of emails will get a dialogue happening. Should I tell them about this blog, do ya think?

I'd made a very conscious decision early on here not to refer to our clients as addiction treatment is and should be a very private health care concern but I'll make one general comment. When crack cocaine first appeared it had an incredibly bad rep; not only was it very, very addictive but there were distinct connotations to its use. That it was dirty, street, ghetto.....and on and on. Over the course of time, say 15 years, it has lost that to a large extent and it continues to amaze me the way this particular drug is cutting across all demographics - young and old, rich and poor, educated and not, social background, ethnicity. None of it matters. Very scary stuff; I wish people had some of that fear and loathing back. It would help save a lot of anguish.

Christmas is coming!! I can't believe it's December 1st. People have their lights up, the stores are decorated and stocked, the parties are starting. I wish, I wish, I wish I had tons of money cuz when I had money I loved that whole process of making lists, tracking down particular gifts for special people, wrapping them and seeing them open them. Loved giving and didn't really care what I got. Now all I want is to spend time with family and it looks like that isn't happening this year; I'm working all Xmas week. Our clients need someone to be here so I'll do what I can to make their Christmas merrier. Ho, Ho , Ho .... maybe I can find a Santa suit. That'd be funny; I'm a pretty tall, very skinny gink with a beard that's getting whiter by the week it seems. I'll have to check that suit idea out and see if we can't have some fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home